WINDOWS JULY 2022 KB5015807 CREATED DUPLICATE COPY OF PRINTER

Anonymous
2022-07-17T15:38:14+00:00

Right after the July 11th install of Windows Update KB501587 I could not print. My laptop and printer (connected USB to my laptop) serves as the "Host Printer" for 2 other laptops on my network. When I started to investigate I see there is a 'Copy 1' of the same printer. I picked 'Copy 1' and I could print, but the other laptops would not. So I mapped the other 2 laptops on the network to print with 'Copy 1'.

I have repeatedly set COPY 1 to the default. I do not have "let windows manage my printer' checked.

After days of trying to trouble shoot this, I see that this is an issue with Windows updates for years. The new update installed new printer softer and magically created another copy. That would be fine, but what is happening is that the original installation of my Dell is being defaulted to all the time. I can't print unless I manually go into settings and pick 'COPY 1'. Same of course with the other laptops. If I close the 'Settings' box, it then defaults all by itself to the original copy of the printer which does work any more.

In other words, I have one PRINTER ICON SHOWING, but a subfolder which was caused by the latest update. See screen shots. How do I solve the issue of the original printer settings becoming the default all the time. It doesn't print and neither then do my other laptops on the network. I want to keep COPY 1 of my Dell but get rid of the other phantom name of the same printer.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-07-20T15:00:05+00:00

    Did you see 'copy 1' of your printer in the icons? Before the update, it was labeled correctly 'DELL 2335dn MFP'.

    This is what the update did. It created a 'copy' of the original Dell printer mapping on a port and then magically copy 1 appeared. Therefore all of my networking with my shared printer no longer existed.

    I had to map all of my devices to the port that Copy 1 was on in order to get them to print.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Reza-Ameri 45,896 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-07-18T17:16:11+00:00

    Like you said, it seems to be a bug and when you report it, the Windows team will be able to investigate and resolve the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-07-18T16:20:29+00:00

    I finally found what the guy was talking about and did report the issue. Other folks are now reporting the same issue that I have.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Reza-Ameri 45,896 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-07-18T16:07:36+00:00

    I believe you are asking about the Feedback Hub app; this is an application inside the Windows where you could find it from start menu, and you may file a bug report and when you do, the Windows team will review and investigate it. I advise you to report this issue using the Feedback Hub app.

    It is always good idea to share this issue with the device's manufacturer because they might be able to reproduce it and share a workaround.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-07-17T17:20:16+00:00

    I will try that later this afternoon. For further clarification, this has been happening since 2012. Read this thread. The one fellow who post it had the same issue but it is not clear whether or not it was ever resolved for him and his specific issue. His screen shots are identical to mine with the issue.https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/197376-multiple-copies-of-the-same-printer-but-only-1-shows-in-devices

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments