WINDOWS JULY 2022 KB5015807 CREATED DUPLICATE COPY OF PRINTER

Anonymous
2022-07-17T15:38:14+00:00

Right after the July 11th install of Windows Update KB501587 I could not print. My laptop and printer (connected USB to my laptop) serves as the "Host Printer" for 2 other laptops on my network. When I started to investigate I see there is a 'Copy 1' of the same printer. I picked 'Copy 1' and I could print, but the other laptops would not. So I mapped the other 2 laptops on the network to print with 'Copy 1'.

I have repeatedly set COPY 1 to the default. I do not have "let windows manage my printer' checked.

After days of trying to trouble shoot this, I see that this is an issue with Windows updates for years. The new update installed new printer softer and magically created another copy. That would be fine, but what is happening is that the original installation of my Dell is being defaulted to all the time. I can't print unless I manually go into settings and pick 'COPY 1'. Same of course with the other laptops. If I close the 'Settings' box, it then defaults all by itself to the original copy of the printer which does work any more.

In other words, I have one PRINTER ICON SHOWING, but a subfolder which was caused by the latest update. See screen shots. How do I solve the issue of the original printer settings becoming the default all the time. It doesn't print and neither then do my other laptops on the network. I want to keep COPY 1 of my Dell but get rid of the other phantom name of the same printer.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-07-22T11:15:51+00:00

    Had this problem with Tyco Ident T200 printers.

    The USB ports they are connected to are now hidden and not working, but if I connect them to a different port they work. The below example should be connected to USB005, but for some reason - there isn't one.

    Every time we get an update we get problems. Hasn't Microsoft heard of Customer Service, or QUALITY CONTROL???

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-07-20T17:19:26+00:00

    Agree. I wouldn't even have installed it but it was mandatory and did it on it's own. You could only pause it for up to 30 days and then you had no choice.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-07-20T15:09:44+00:00

    Hi,

    No copy before the update.

    Tried to manually change port, but it would simply not take. as soon as we clicked apply it changed back.

    trying to delete the port we get told it is not a "supported feature"

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-07-17T16:46:57+00:00

    Two possible solutions -

    1. Set the Port setting in the problem one to match the port used in the working Copy 1.
    2. If that doesn't help, you might be able to remove the problem entry using the Print Management Snap in of Computer Management.

    See the "Here is how to do that :" part of the link below re. how to access the Print Management Snap in. https://superuser.com/questions/255699/where-can-i-see-the-printer-driver-version-on-windows

    Note: If the first suggestion is doable, it might be better to reduce the risk of Windows Update messing it up again.

    I'm interested in how / if these work. Please let us know.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Reza-Ameri 45,896 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-07-17T15:58:52+00:00

    Try open start and search for feedback and open the Feedback Hub app and report this issue.

    Try uninstalling your printer's software and driver and restart your PC and reinstall it.

    You may report this issue to the Dell's support.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments