You've lost me, what 's the mail.google setting? I know only about Edge Settings > Cookies and site permissions to select Notifications; and Mail app Settings > Notifications > Select an Account > Show Notifications > On, tick boxes for Show a Notification Banner and Play a Sound.
Notification sounds
I'm using Windows 10 and Windows 11 on my computers and I use notification sounds because I'm often using a full screen obscuring three tabs I also have open.
I have the same notification sounds on my Win 11 computer as on my Win 10 laptop.
The laptop sound when an email arrives is perfect on the laptop but on the Win11 desktop there's a tone before half of the notification sound. Very occasionally if an email has just arrived and another comes shortly after the notification sound is perfect but sometimes when the second arrives there's no sound at all.
I've tried all sorts of alterations to the sounds settings but can't "fix" it.
Has anyone got any ideas please?
I've picked "settings" but would "Desktop, start and personalization" be more appropriate?
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
48 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2022-06-26T00:16:01+00:00 -
Anonymous
2022-06-26T10:34:40+00:00 I think we've lost each other? You said "Mail in the Mail Settings and Gmail in the Edge Settings." So, where's the mail settings?
Now, I've looked at my Win 10 laptop and my gmail is in the mail settings there. Because adding my gmail to this (Win 11) computer cause the haywire previously described, I removed it. As there's no email added, on this M/C of course when I click "Mail", it's a blank page.
I think there's "something somewhere" that's causing some sort of conflict but after looking everywhere I can think of, I can't find anything. Apart from not having gmail added to this M/C, I can't see any difference between the two computers.
It must be something to do with Edge, but what? I'm hoping someone has some idea?
-
Anonymous
2022-06-26T14:47:56+00:00 In my third post in this thread I had you go over the Mail Notification Settings for Windows 11 Mail app. They are in Mail Settings (gear icon in Inbox) > Notifications. I also doubled back to them several more times in the thread.
My understanding is that you use the Mail app and also get your mail in the browser, is that correct? If so it appears you are getting Notifications from both places. I've gone over the settings with you for both places.
If I'm misunderstanding anything please clarify.
-
Anonymous
2022-06-26T15:38:12+00:00 Hi again, yes, there's a blank page when I click "Mail" because when I added my email things went bananas so I removed it.
I know where the "gear" for mail settings is because I used it in my Win 10 laptop. If I put my email back in to mail, it'll foul things up like it did before.
I removed it to try to find where the conflict is before putting it back. The conflict is obviously there before adding it so I don't think there's any point in putting it back until the conflict's resolved? As there's "nothing in mail", it can't be anything in the mail settings because they won't affect anything if there's no email address there?
Tea time, I'll BB after seven (UK time).
-
Anonymous
2022-06-26T15:56:20+00:00 I wish you would have told me you weren't using WIndows Mail for this when I gave you steps to troubleshoot it and kept referring to it giving you duplicate notifications.
Is ti possible you're using more than one browser to open Gmail, like Chrome and Edge? That could explain two notifications.
While you have me here we might as well fix your Mail app which isn't that hard to do:
I will give you every possible repair for Mail so at least something will work. Even if you've tried some fixes try them again in this sequence:
- Do you know when this started? if so see if you can System Restore to a point before the problem started:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-system-r...
System Restore is your first line of defense and can take you back to a point before a problem began. If it doesn't help then you can undo it. Read about it first in the tutorial above and then try restoring to just before this started. If System Restore is not enabled on C drive do that now so it's available in the future.
If the problem repeats or System Restore doesn't work then check which Windows Updates were installed at Settings > Update & Security > Windows Updates > Update History, uninstall them there or System Restore again, then immediately check for and block the Updates with the Hide Updates tool explained here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8280-hide-s...
- What often works to fix the Mail app is to go to Windows 10 Mail Settings (gear icon at bottom of Inbox) then Manage Accounts, then choose the problem account(s), then Delete the Account.
Restart PC and retrace that path to add the account back. Make sure the Sync settings are as desired for how far back you want mail Downloaded from, whether to include Calendar and Contacts (People app). See this setup guide to make sure you get everything set as you like: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-get-started-...
- If that's not enough then Reset the Mail app at Settings > Apps and Features > Mail & Calendar > Advanced Options > Reset. Restart PC.
- If that doesn't work then re-register the app from Option Two here: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3175-apps-re...
- Finally if nothing else works uninstall the Mail and Calendar app in Settings > Apps > Apps & Features, restart PC, then reinstall from Microsoft Store app > Hub (three dots at top right) > My Library.
- If you have broader performance problems go over this checklist to make sure the install is set up correctly, optimized for best performance, and any needed repairs get done: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...
Start with Step 4 to turn off Startup freeloaders which can conflict and cause issues, then Step 7 to check for infection the most thorough way, then step 10 to check for damaged System Files. Then continue with the other steps to go over your install most thoroughly.
- If nothing else helps then run a Repair Install by installing the Media Creation Tool and choosing from it to Upgrade Now. This solves many problems and will also bring it up to the latest version which you need anyway and by the most stable method. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/m...
I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.
________________________________________________________
Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.