Notification sounds

Anonymous
2022-06-24T18:39:12+00:00

I'm using Windows 10 and Windows 11 on my computers and I use notification sounds because I'm often using a full screen obscuring three tabs I also have open.

I have the same notification sounds on my Win 11 computer as on my Win 10 laptop.

The laptop sound when an email arrives is perfect on the laptop but on the Win11 desktop there's a tone before half of the notification sound. Very occasionally if an email has just arrived and another comes shortly after the notification sound is perfect but sometimes when the second arrives there's no sound at all.

I've tried all sorts of alterations to the sounds settings but can't "fix" it.

Has anyone got any ideas please?

I've picked "settings" but would "Desktop, start and personalization" be more appropriate?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-06-25T16:03:43+00:00

    Hi again -

    It sounds like you were receiving Notifications from both Edge browser for your Mail website, and from Mail app, which would explain why there are two.

    To adjust Edge browser website notifications see here:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-e...

    https://www.lifewire.com/manage-notifications-i...

    Feel free to ask back any questions. Based on the results you post back I may have other suggestions if necessary.

    ______________________________________________

    Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-06-25T18:21:55+00:00

    Thank you for your patience. Under the cookies and site permissions, "Ask before sending" is on, I have two sites blocked (Youtube and the Daily mail) and under "allow" there's only gmail. There's no mention of Edge there.

    So, where do I go from here?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-06-25T21:25:29+00:00

    In the two links in my last post, it shows how to adjust Edge browser website notifications, where you can allow or disallow websites you visit to notify you. I believe you're getting notifications from your Gmail in Edge Browser and from Mail app which is why there are two notifications with different sounds.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-06-25T22:00:50+00:00

    Thank you but I just don't understand what I should add or change.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-06-25T22:18:11+00:00

    Are you going into Edge Settings > Cookies and site permissions and select Notifications. Under Allow, you will find a list of websites that are currently sending you notifications.

    If that's where you're seeing Gmail, then that is why you're getting a second notification for mail. You are in Edge so it's coming from Edge, right?

    You can decide which one you want to keep, Mail app or Edge notification.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments