Notification sounds

Anonymous
2022-06-24T18:39:12+00:00

I'm using Windows 10 and Windows 11 on my computers and I use notification sounds because I'm often using a full screen obscuring three tabs I also have open.

I have the same notification sounds on my Win 11 computer as on my Win 10 laptop.

The laptop sound when an email arrives is perfect on the laptop but on the Win11 desktop there's a tone before half of the notification sound. Very occasionally if an email has just arrived and another comes shortly after the notification sound is perfect but sometimes when the second arrives there's no sound at all.

I've tried all sorts of alterations to the sounds settings but can't "fix" it.

Has anyone got any ideas please?

I've picked "settings" but would "Desktop, start and personalization" be more appropriate?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-06-24T23:46:47+00:00

    Check that the Mail app settings for both Windows 10 and 11 are enabled with the sounds you want:

    https://thegeekpage.com/how-to-turn-on-email-no...

    https://www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-email-notif...

    (Avoid ad links which intrude into editorial copy, especially avoid Restoro, PC Repair Tool and Reimage ads)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-06-25T14:08:51+00:00

    Well I've tried all sorts of things and I still can't get the right sound. At the moment, I've got my chosen sound on "New Mail Notification" and both Notifications and "play a sound" are checked "On".

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-06-25T14:52:16+00:00

    I suppose you chaps will laugh now, you won't believe it but I'm getting two notifications now, one with the dull tone before half my "proper" sound, the second one is just the proper sound. The first has "Edge" on the flag (in the bottom right corner), the second flag is bigger and has "Mail" on it.

    I've found that if I sign in anywhere, I get no flags or sound but if I go to the mail app, then go to "settings" as I click "Notifications" the button quickly slides to "on". After that, I get the notifications. How come it manages to go "off"? I've been testing by emailing from a different address with my Win 10 laptop.

    I seem to remember Win 10 did that for a while and then it stayed "on".

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-06-25T15:16:56+00:00

    After messing about with things what I've got now is either the two flags/sounds as above or one (edge) flag and no sound or nothing at all! It's unreliable now.

    Just where do I go from here? Before adding my email to the mail app, at least I had a reliable sound even though it wasn't the "right" sound.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-06-25T15:26:45+00:00

    I've removed my email from the mail app and (more or less) got it back the way it was. At least I've got a sound now even though it's not the "proper" sound.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments