Notification sounds

Anonymous
2022-06-24T18:39:12+00:00

I'm using Windows 10 and Windows 11 on my computers and I use notification sounds because I'm often using a full screen obscuring three tabs I also have open.

I have the same notification sounds on my Win 11 computer as on my Win 10 laptop.

The laptop sound when an email arrives is perfect on the laptop but on the Win11 desktop there's a tone before half of the notification sound. Very occasionally if an email has just arrived and another comes shortly after the notification sound is perfect but sometimes when the second arrives there's no sound at all.

I've tried all sorts of alterations to the sounds settings but can't "fix" it.

Has anyone got any ideas please?

I've picked "settings" but would "Desktop, start and personalization" be more appropriate?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-06-25T23:28:11+00:00

    The strange thing is, if I go in to "sounds" and go to Desktop Notification, or New Mail Notification or Notification and select "ring 10" as the sound and click "test", the first time, I get the proper sound, the second time I get the tone followed by half the sound which is what I get when a mail comes in.

    If I go to a different "place" in sounds, change the sound from the default to "ring 10", test it, but don't check "apply", the sound plays OK. I went back to the other three and tested there and the tone played properly several times. I'm completely baffled.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-06-25T23:23:14+00:00

    But you're in Edge settings, aren't you? So that's Edge browser where you're getting Notifications from, along with Mail app also sending them. You can turn off one or the other depending on which works best for you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-06-25T23:12:51+00:00

    I went there and as I said, there was no mention of Edge there, only mail,google.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-06-25T22:18:11+00:00

    Are you going into Edge Settings > Cookies and site permissions and select Notifications. Under Allow, you will find a list of websites that are currently sending you notifications.

    If that's where you're seeing Gmail, then that is why you're getting a second notification for mail. You are in Edge so it's coming from Edge, right?

    You can decide which one you want to keep, Mail app or Edge notification.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-06-25T22:00:50+00:00

    Thank you but I just don't understand what I should add or change.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments