Notification sounds

Anonymous
2022-06-24T18:39:12+00:00

I'm using Windows 10 and Windows 11 on my computers and I use notification sounds because I'm often using a full screen obscuring three tabs I also have open.

I have the same notification sounds on my Win 11 computer as on my Win 10 laptop.

The laptop sound when an email arrives is perfect on the laptop but on the Win11 desktop there's a tone before half of the notification sound. Very occasionally if an email has just arrived and another comes shortly after the notification sound is perfect but sometimes when the second arrives there's no sound at all.

I've tried all sorts of alterations to the sounds settings but can't "fix" it.

Has anyone got any ideas please?

I've picked "settings" but would "Desktop, start and personalization" be more appropriate?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-06-26T14:47:56+00:00

    In my third post in this thread I had you go over the Mail Notification Settings for Windows 11 Mail app. They are in Mail Settings (gear icon in Inbox) > Notifications. I also doubled back to them several more times in the thread.

    My understanding is that you use the Mail app and also get your mail in the browser, is that correct? If so it appears you are getting Notifications from both places. I've gone over the settings with you for both places.

    If I'm misunderstanding anything please clarify.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-06-26T10:34:40+00:00

    I think we've lost each other? You said "Mail in the Mail Settings and Gmail in the Edge Settings." So, where's the mail settings?

    Now, I've looked at my Win 10 laptop and my gmail is in the mail settings there. Because adding my gmail to this (Win 11) computer cause the haywire previously described, I removed it. As there's no email added, on this M/C of course when I click "Mail", it's a blank page.

    I think there's "something somewhere" that's causing some sort of conflict but after looking everywhere I can think of, I can't find anything. Apart from not having gmail added to this M/C, I can't see any difference between the two computers.

    It must be something to do with Edge, but what? I'm hoping someone has some idea?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-06-26T00:16:01+00:00

    You've lost me, what 's the mail.google setting? I know only about Edge Settings > Cookies and site permissions to select Notifications; and Mail app Settings > Notifications > Select an Account > Show Notifications > On, tick boxes for Show a Notification Banner and Play a Sound.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-06-26T00:11:01+00:00

    I tried blocking the mail.google setting and I got no notification so I've clicked "allow" again and I get the notification again as before.

    Where is the mail setting? Time for bed, goodnight,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-06-25T23:36:48+00:00

    Maybe it's the browser Notification which is different with the half tone, it's probably not listed as a Mail Notification since it could be from any website. You could turn off one or the other to check for sure - Mail in the Mail Settings and Gmail in the Edge Settings.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments