Notification sounds

Anonymous
2022-06-24T18:39:12+00:00

I'm using Windows 10 and Windows 11 on my computers and I use notification sounds because I'm often using a full screen obscuring three tabs I also have open.

I have the same notification sounds on my Win 11 computer as on my Win 10 laptop.

The laptop sound when an email arrives is perfect on the laptop but on the Win11 desktop there's a tone before half of the notification sound. Very occasionally if an email has just arrived and another comes shortly after the notification sound is perfect but sometimes when the second arrives there's no sound at all.

I've tried all sorts of alterations to the sounds settings but can't "fix" it.

Has anyone got any ideas please?

I've picked "settings" but would "Desktop, start and personalization" be more appropriate?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-06-27T23:24:49+00:00

    On a completely different tack and not a lot to do with the sound problem, these days, you buy something and there's no "instruction book" any more. It seems to me that purveyors of technical goods seem to think that buyers will find it "fun finding out". Now that might be so for people who never actually do anything, but just love fiddling about whereas others want to get on with the job that they bought the item to do.

    There doesn't seem to books about such things any more either, just loads of links to some website or other. I don't know how long you've been in to Windows, but my first experience was Windows 95. There was a book available, "Windows 95 Secrets", it ran to over 1200 pages! Now that's some collection?

    Getting back to the sound issue, I'm a user, not a fiddler, I want to get on with things. Currently I'm proof reading a 1300 page document. The program I'm using opens only in a window. Usually I use tabs. I usually have three tabs open and when I'm using the word processor program, the Window obscures my three tabs, two of which are my email adresses so that's why I want a sound when an email arrives. Currently, I've dragged the top of the Window down so I can see the three tabs but I'd rather not. Time I went, goodnight

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-06-27T21:09:54+00:00

    I've just looked at sync, (in profile, personal) although my email is there, underneath it says "not syncing" and there's the option to "turn on sync".

    I tried turning it on, it made no difference.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-06-27T19:20:33+00:00

    It sounds like it's syncing your settings between the PC's in Edge Settings > Your Profile > Sync. You might want to look those over to see if they're what you want.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-06-27T18:33:24+00:00

    M/C is the common abbreviation for "machine".

    I don't know what you mean by Edge notifications for gmail.

    Do you mean click the three dots in the top right, go to "settings", "cookies & site permissions", then "Notifications"? If I turn "Ask before sending" to "off," I get the same tone plus half the proper sound. Allow still has gmail there. If I change the "allow" gmail to block I get no sound and no flag.

    When I did that, the sound and flag stopped on my Win 10 laptop too. I checked the settings on that and there was no gmail there, I put the same as on this computer and the sound is back again.

    The way I try it out is to send myself an email from another email address. After doing the above, on this computer I got the proper sound the first time. When I sent another, it was back to the tone and half the proper sound.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-06-27T15:09:52+00:00

    What is M/C? If you're not using common abbreviations (HDD, SSD, AIO, etc) please write it out so we don't have to guess.

    If you turn off the Edge notifications for Gmail which notification sound remains?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments