what is this error: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\DR3 during a paging operation.

Anonymous
2022-07-25T01:36:35+00:00

a seperate error was this:

The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: F:, DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume7.

           Failure status: A device which does not exist was specified.

           Device GUID: {390d3b88-0b14-a800-2004-644fa477ceb8}

           Device manufacturer: Seagate 

           Device model: Expansion       

           Device revision: 1805

           Device serial number:             NA8NLPKP

           Bus type: USB

           Adapter serial number: 

But at the time of the error in the subject, i was not copying data to this system. at the time of the second error in the body of this post, i was searching an external drive, it did that. it was connected, except i did probably unplug it, so that might be the case. However, i don't get why the paging this is going on.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-08-04T16:53:00+00:00

    please see the last two replies. it seems like people are frustrated since i don't install various software without question, etc. I understand troubleshooting involves trial and error, but i just don't want to keep having more problems that occur (which I have been running into in the last year). Last year, I had a system become corrupted, and it was repaired after an update, and then it became more corrupted and hardware failures occurred. There was a pattern of hardware failures with more windows updates as well.

    Then this year, on a new system, i have seen more errors with new windows updates. I have also seen so many problems with updates, i realized in this thread, that a long time ago, i had to reinstall a driver that was not able to be installed since somehow an internet connection became disabled outside of safe mode due to an uninstalled driver. Then i found out that a hard drive that is fairly new seems to be degrading by one of the tests. page fault error or whatever may be caused by something to do with an external drive, but windows should not keep re-initiating explorer crashes after it stops for various reasons.

    Then also some hard drive should not degrade in less than a year. If windows updates are a primary cause for a degrading hard drive as well, then something is wrong. previous laptops did not seem to have this happen. i did not test health of hard drives before like this, but the last hard drive that i had go bad started doing so after 6 years as far as i can tell (not 1 year). maybe i should check the health on the system i am trying to transfer from that no longer has replaceable parts.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-08-03T00:01:16+00:00

    Sorry, but it seems to me that what you really want to do here is make posts. I won't stand in your way.

    i think that you misunderstand me, and probably some other do as well. In the post that I posted yesterday, I had mentioned conflicting drivers on my last system (see the previous post). One was probably a microsoft driver, and the other HP. They both had the same month as the date, but were different manufacturers. I also had some incident I believe that I had uninstalled a driver, and I believe I could not connect to the internet to reinstall it. I am detail-oriented. I also have used multiple computer systems, though I am not a technician, nor an OS programmer. I do know about patches and programming errors due to making some mistakes in programming, and seeing them, and explanations from companies. Programmers tend to try to update the code by adding new code I believe, but it seems like sometimes, there are still errors in the updates that cause conflicts.

    My reasoning is that if putting old code to replace the new code with the mistakes added to it, then again adding the codes with the mistakes to update it again, it doesn't provide a permanent solution.

    I do not know the ins and outs of repairing computer systems or fixing operating systems.

    I have tried to troubleshoot different systems, and also repaired old systems by reinstalling windows before, and that didn't always fix things. I also had hard drives last longer. I can explain a lot about these things and about different software that I used on old systems, but I don't think that is necessary. Since I am not familiar with these other third-party programs, etc, I would like to know more about what I am doing before I install things. Last year, Windows 10 kept updating my last system and messed up my last computer system. Soon after that, the hardware malfunctioned, and other things happened that should not have.

    This system is fairly new, and I should not have a possible solid state hard drive getting worse, and also one problem after another with windows 10. My last post shows my concerns that I have kept posting about the third party software, etc. I may have missed something and forgotten something. I do believe something was exported by a file that was requested that i don't know how to post. However, the diagnostics i had forgotten to post the results, but i posted the information in the last post.

    I am not sure if explaining all this helps, yet I would like to figure out if there is some guarantee about using WDV will actually not do something like remove internet-related drivers, or something that might interfere with that. I don't know if there are any drivers on my system that windows is having problems with like a display driver or something (just an example), that that software is ran, that something will shut down, and i would not be able to get the new drivers. Then there is the fact that it is always recommended to use an HP driver for each conflicting driver.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-08-02T00:39:57+00:00

    Earlier in the thread running HP UEFI and Windows hardware diagnostics were not performed.

    Running Crystal disk info was not performed.

    Running Windows Driver Verifier (WDV) to troubleshoot BSOD was not performed.

    This is an open forum.

    There may be other members that can provide help.

    i did run HP diagnostics, but i forgot to post the results. I ran them from the HP windows diagnostics on 7/26 and they passed. However, there were not long drive tests performed. There was short drive tests and UEFI memory tests, and they passed.

    I did not perform the other tests yet. I did want to ask other questions like if crystal disk does anything else, about checking the previous memory dump file, and about the possibility of WDV somehow disabling reinstalling drivers. I do think something happened with a system before that I uninstalled a driver, and I was not able to reinstall a driver easily. I do not know how I reinstalled it. It is possible that i had a windows disc or factory installation disc to get a driver. It seems probable that it is not specific that the hard drives are not messed up, but i see from one of the third party software tests, that a hard drive is not 100% healthy. I think it is solid state, and that seems problematic if the solid state drive is possibly getting worse when what is writing the most is windows updates.

    whichever drive is doing that (which some test seemed to say it was the solid state drive), it is likely windows updates, it shouldn't be that a drive that is not very old is 97-98% healthy after only a few months of use.

    It is likely that some test that would remove possible incompatible drivers could help, but any software bugs may not be resolved.

    I would like to know about this possibility of WDV removing drivers and possibly not being able to installing them. I think that you said the commands will allow it to boot into windows. I wonder also if somehow if some drivers are removed, if that might also be a problem? It shouldn't, but I don't know what kind of drivers might be a problem.

    i saw in some windows updates on my previous system, that the hardware started failing with updates. Things like the keyboard and touchpad stopped working. They could not be updated. Then the bios had conflicts, and i found two different drivers from the same month, and i would keep downloading the update to try to make something work again. It seemed to cause an error constantly, and downloading the BIOS update frequently would temporarily reset the error. this system seems to be a little better.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-08-02T00:39:01+00:00

    Sorry, but it seems to me that what you really want to do here is make posts. I won't stand in your way.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-08-01T23:53:48+00:00

    Earlier in the thread running HP UEFI and Windows hardware diagnostics were not performed.

    Running Crystal disk info was not performed.

    Running Windows Driver Verifier (WDV) to troubleshoot BSOD was not performed.

    This is an open forum.

    There may be other members that can provide help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments