That's bizarre. It's almost like it's using the PC's MAC address to sync the store whether you want to or not. I don't know any other way it could know who you are. I also can't find any other examples of it on the web. I've not seen this before and I thought I'd seen it all.
DNS request timed out in command prompt
Hello, I've been experiencing issues with Halo MCC giving me this weird microstutter when I play online. In diagnosing it I've reinstalled windows completely, tried multiple sets of hardware (3 motherboards, 2 processors, 2 sets of ram, 2 graphics cards, 2 power supplies, and two SSDs). The only thing that's stayed the same is the actual license for Windows as it has booted fine on all 3 mobo's. Additionally, I had the problem on Win11, downgraded back to 10, then eventually upgraded back to 11 and the problem has persisted each time. I also did full clean repair installs everytime I swapped out the motherboard or SSD and installed my chipset drivers from a USB drive I saved them to.
With that out of the way, the mobo currently in my machine is an ASRock B450mac with a Realtek LAN card, just for reference. (The 2 other boards have Intel LAN cards).
I have Verizon gigabit fiber internet and I'm hardwired to a G3100 router. I have tried factory reseting the router and multiple cables. Additionally, the in-game network problems happen irrespective of my server ping. It happens on <20ms ping just as bad as 150ms.
I'm not sure if this is related, but when I run "nslookup <website name here>" in command prompt, it always says DNS request timed out after 2 seconds. However, if I turn on a VPN, it seems to work. Additionally, I've tried changing my DNS provider in both Windows and my router's settings and the problem persists. I tried flushing my DNS cache in command prompt last night which fixed it, but today the nslookup command says DNS request timed out again, regardless if I reset the cache.
I also have DNS-related events in event viewer as well as one from the Browser service.
I'm wondering why command prompt is saying this, and how to fix it.
Thank you.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Internet and connectivity
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
46 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2023-01-26T06:26:10+00:00 -
Anonymous
2023-01-26T06:48:03+00:00 When I installed my drivers I had them preloaded on a USB SSD. On that SSD is also one game that I purchased from the Microsoft Store. Could it be that SSD plugged in was the reason?
-
Anonymous
2023-01-26T07:06:05+00:00 Possibly. Most extreme example I've seen is there's a bug they've never gotten rid of, which it took us years to figure out, where Mail app scans every piece of mail in folders to collect every email address that appears anywhere and adds those to auto-complete, so that people have dead people's email addresses auto-completing. After trying almost ten years, we've never even been able to find out who's in charge of that.
So finding apps on your external wouldn't be a reach for the Store to do, since it's a revenue generating feature.
-
Anonymous
2023-01-27T07:14:30+00:00 Game is still experiencing problems. Additionally, my dns server changed back to my default gateway when I tried nslookup again today. Why would it do that? Is that an issue on my ISP's end?
-
Anonymous
2023-01-27T07:39:07+00:00 Here's some good resources on nslookup and DNS server troubleshooting:
https://phoenixnap.com/kb/dns-troubleshooting
https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2183925-...
https://www.comparitech.com/net-admin/nslookup-...
https://support.managed.com/kb/a2312/how-to-use...
https://superuser.com/questions/1561705/how-do-...
Hopefully something there will help resolve this.
____________________________________________
Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.