DNS request timed out in command prompt

Anonymous
2023-01-25T04:59:30+00:00

Hello, I've been experiencing issues with Halo MCC giving me this weird microstutter when I play online. In diagnosing it I've reinstalled windows completely, tried multiple sets of hardware (3 motherboards, 2 processors, 2 sets of ram, 2 graphics cards, 2 power supplies, and two SSDs). The only thing that's stayed the same is the actual license for Windows as it has booted fine on all 3 mobo's. Additionally, I had the problem on Win11, downgraded back to 10, then eventually upgraded back to 11 and the problem has persisted each time. I also did full clean repair installs everytime I swapped out the motherboard or SSD and installed my chipset drivers from a USB drive I saved them to.

With that out of the way, the mobo currently in my machine is an ASRock B450mac with a Realtek LAN card, just for reference. (The 2 other boards have Intel LAN cards).

I have Verizon gigabit fiber internet and I'm hardwired to a G3100 router. I have tried factory reseting the router and multiple cables. Additionally, the in-game network problems happen irrespective of my server ping. It happens on <20ms ping just as bad as 150ms.

I'm not sure if this is related, but when I run "nslookup <website name here>" in command prompt, it always says DNS request timed out after 2 seconds. However, if I turn on a VPN, it seems to work. Additionally, I've tried changing my DNS provider in both Windows and my router's settings and the problem persists. I tried flushing my DNS cache in command prompt last night which fixed it, but today the nslookup command says DNS request timed out again, regardless if I reset the cache.

I also have DNS-related events in event viewer as well as one from the Browser service.

I'm wondering why command prompt is saying this, and how to fix it.

Thank you.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-01-26T03:43:47+00:00

    Glad to hear of your progress. Keep me posted on your progress as I will be here to help until the case is resolved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-01-26T04:16:13+00:00

    I updated bios and then reinstalled Windows again. This time I used a microsoft account that Ive never signed in on windows with. I only used it to sign into a video game a couple of times a couple of months back. Essentially as a burner account. Ive never used it to sign in or buy something from the Microsoft store though, for example.

    After doing the reinstall, nslookup is again not working. Additionally I ran system file checker and it repaired corrupt files... This immediately after booting into Windows for the first time. I'm going to install my drivers now and check again. And then I could repeat the steps I did with the batch file again but why would I be having these issues right out of the gate?

    Also, I did check what Windows says during setup regarding installation. It said:

    "Sign in with Microsoft and create the experience you want. Customize preferences, sync content and security settings... ..."

    Then it says "Accelerate your device setup: Make setup easy by restoring your existing Windows preferences"

    ...with no way to opt out until AFTER setup....

    Microsoft does realize that what people do on their pcs can often cause issues that leads to them needing to reset their pcs to start fresh, right?. This really irritates me and I'll be sure it will be a topic of discussion once more people run into problems that can't be fixed without making new MS accounts to avoid **** being synced. I just want to start fresh and I feel it's now impossible.

    I even tried making a brand new MS account to be 100% sure nothing would be syncd, but the captcha kept restarting after I completed it so I gave up on that.

    The account I used shouldnt have any settings linked to it. So while I can do the batch file that seemed to work again, I'm wondering what you would recommend I do because I dont like the fact that already SFC is repairing errors immediately after install, unless that's a normal behavior, and the fact that nslookup is timing out again.

    I'll update my drivers in the meantime.

    This time it did prompt me for my wifi password though!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-01-26T04:26:06+00:00

    Where did you get the media? Is it fresh from latest Media Creation Tool? Did you delete all partitions, unplug other drives. I don't see how there can be corrupted files right away.

    Got a laugh about "burner account" like it's a bank heist.

    Strange offer to sync settings if there's no way to opt out. That's gonna cause an uproar.

    These are all methods to force setup of a Local Account during Windows 11 install:

    https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/326879-how-...

    https://www.techpowerup.com/300298/psa-how-to-u...

    https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/install-win...

    ____________________________________________

    Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-01-26T04:36:37+00:00

    All other drives are disconnected, the media creation tool is the one from the link in your first reply... I have the installer set to custom and I formatted every partition. I'll try it again and see if those local user workarounds work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-01-26T04:39:13+00:00

    I'd also clean the drive if you're not, from the media Command Prompt via Shift + F10: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/85819-erase...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments