DNS request timed out in command prompt

Anonymous
2023-01-25T04:59:30+00:00

Hello, I've been experiencing issues with Halo MCC giving me this weird microstutter when I play online. In diagnosing it I've reinstalled windows completely, tried multiple sets of hardware (3 motherboards, 2 processors, 2 sets of ram, 2 graphics cards, 2 power supplies, and two SSDs). The only thing that's stayed the same is the actual license for Windows as it has booted fine on all 3 mobo's. Additionally, I had the problem on Win11, downgraded back to 10, then eventually upgraded back to 11 and the problem has persisted each time. I also did full clean repair installs everytime I swapped out the motherboard or SSD and installed my chipset drivers from a USB drive I saved them to.

With that out of the way, the mobo currently in my machine is an ASRock B450mac with a Realtek LAN card, just for reference. (The 2 other boards have Intel LAN cards).

I have Verizon gigabit fiber internet and I'm hardwired to a G3100 router. I have tried factory reseting the router and multiple cables. Additionally, the in-game network problems happen irrespective of my server ping. It happens on <20ms ping just as bad as 150ms.

I'm not sure if this is related, but when I run "nslookup <website name here>" in command prompt, it always says DNS request timed out after 2 seconds. However, if I turn on a VPN, it seems to work. Additionally, I've tried changing my DNS provider in both Windows and my router's settings and the problem persists. I tried flushing my DNS cache in command prompt last night which fixed it, but today the nslookup command says DNS request timed out again, regardless if I reset the cache.

I also have DNS-related events in event viewer as well as one from the Browser service.

I'm wondering why command prompt is saying this, and how to fix it.

Thank you.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-01-25T10:15:01+00:00

    Like I said, it did prompt me to enter my wifi password during setup only after I unplugged my ethernet cable, but I dont even know my wifi password off the top of my head so I didnt enter it. Pulling the ethernet cord (to trigger a local install) made the installer bug out where the entirety of my display asides from the small window with network connections went black. It forced me to connect to internet to continue. The moment I plugged in ethernet, the UI stopped being black and it continued fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-01-25T10:35:25+00:00

    Then it must have sync'd the Wifi password.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-01-26T00:02:35+00:00

    What's crazy is that this entire past month I had been having an issue with my ethernet not working after I updated my LAN driver. I tried multiple motherboards, CPUs, RAM, SSDs, GPUs, PSUs but no matter what I did my ethernet wouldnt work or would only work intermittently... Can you imagine if my problem was a system corruption that got transferred over because I... signed in to my Microsoft account? How absurd would that be if that's what caused all of this...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-01-26T00:28:26+00:00

    To answer your question: yes, I can imagine it because we see surprises like that a lot. But we try to refocus on the fixes to get it resolved and then try to take account of what might have happened and encourage reporting it to developers who may not even know of blowback caused by changes. They're supposed to find this out through telemetry but that's tangled up in privacy issues so many turn it off or minimize it, and they don't even collect telemetry on many of these things.

    So let's go over the ethernet to try to find and fix any problems:

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

    Feel free to ask back any questions. Based on the detailed results you post back, I will have other suggestions if necessary.

    ______________________________________________

    Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-01-26T03:26:31+00:00

    I was able to get nslookup to work. On another forum I was told to run a program called RstHostsv2.0 that resets the default host file and then run a batch file that they said "disables useless items". After running the batch file, nslookup now works. However, since I'm not sure if the issue with Halo MCC is still going to persist, and because I'm not sure if anything else was included in the sync when I reinstalled Win 11 that could cause me problems, I am going to re-do the clean install w/ format again but this time use a different microsoft account when I sign in, and make close note on what options are presented to me regarding anything sync.

    The code for the batch file I used was:

    @echo off
    wmic /Namespace:\\root\default Path SystemRestore Call Enable "%SystemDrive%"
    WMIC /Namespace:\\root\default Path SystemRestore Call CreateRestorePoint "BatchRestorePoint", 100, 10
    fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\&fsutil usn deletejournal /d /n c:
    powercfg.exe /setactive 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e
    powercfg -hibernate off
    bitsadmin /reset /allusers
    nbtstat -R
    nbtstat -RR
    netsh winsock reset all
    netsh winsock reset catalog
    netsh winhttp reset proxy
    netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
    netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled
    netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal
    netsh interface httpstunnel reset all
    netsh interface portproxy reset all
    netsh interface ip delete arpcache
    netsh advfirewall reset
    netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state On
    wmic nicconfig where (IPEnabled=TRUE) call SetDNSServerSearchOrder ("8.8.8.8", "8.8.4.4")
    %WINDIR%\SYSTEM32\lodctr.exe /R
    %WINDIR%\SysWOW64\lodctr.exe /R
    C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\lodctr.exe /R
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\lodctr.exe /R
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
    pause
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    pause
    del /s /q C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\download\*.*
    del /s /q "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Cache\*.*"
    del /s /q "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache\*.*"
    del /s /q "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Opera Software\Opera Stable\Cache\Cache_Data\*.*"
    del /s /q "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\temp\*.*"
    del /f /s /q %systemdrive%\*.tmp
    del /f /s /q %systemdrive%\*.log
    del /f /s /q %systemdrive%\*.chk
    del /f /s /q %systemdrive%\recycled\*.*
    del /f /s /q %windir%\*.bak
    del /f /s /q %windir%\prefetch\*.*
    ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /registerdns
    sc stop RasAuto
    sc stop RasMan
    sc stop SessionEnv
    sc stop TermService
    sc stop UmRdpService
    sc stop RemoteAccess
    sc config RasAuto start= disabled
    sc config RasMan start= disabled
    sc config SessionEnv start= disabled
    sc config TermService start= disabled
    sc config UmRdpService start= disabled
    sc config RemoteAccess start= disabled
    sc stop sysmain
    sc config sysmain start= disabled
    sc stop iphlpsvc
    sc config iphlpsvc start= disabled
    sc stop DiagTrack
    sc config DiagTrack start= disabled
    sc stop dmwappushservice
    sc config dmwappushservice start= disabled
    sc stop WSearch
    sc config WSearch start= disabled
    sc stop lfsvc
    sc config lfsvc start= disabled
    del /s /q %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ETLLogs\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl
    REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection /v AllowTelemetry /d 0 /t REG_DWORD /f
    reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\SQMClient\parameters /v DisabledComponents /t REG_DWORD /d 0xFFFFFFFF
    reg add hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip6\parameters /v DisabledComponents /t REG_DWORD /d 0xFFFFFFFF
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters" /v DisabledComponents /t REG_DWORD /d 255 /f
    echo "" > %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ETLLogs\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl
    sfc /scannow
    pause
    shutdown -r
    Exit /B
    

    If anyone reading this is in a similar situation and you aren't very good with computers, to run a batch file you paste the text into command prompt and save it as something.bat, for example clean.bat is what I saved it as. And then you right click on the file and select run as administrator and follow the command prompt window. I want to stress I don't know exactly what this batch file does specifically and I can't say it won't cause you problems! But it seems to have worked for me.

    I will update once Windows is installed again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments