DNS request timed out in command prompt

Anonymous
2023-01-25T04:59:30+00:00

Hello, I've been experiencing issues with Halo MCC giving me this weird microstutter when I play online. In diagnosing it I've reinstalled windows completely, tried multiple sets of hardware (3 motherboards, 2 processors, 2 sets of ram, 2 graphics cards, 2 power supplies, and two SSDs). The only thing that's stayed the same is the actual license for Windows as it has booted fine on all 3 mobo's. Additionally, I had the problem on Win11, downgraded back to 10, then eventually upgraded back to 11 and the problem has persisted each time. I also did full clean repair installs everytime I swapped out the motherboard or SSD and installed my chipset drivers from a USB drive I saved them to.

With that out of the way, the mobo currently in my machine is an ASRock B450mac with a Realtek LAN card, just for reference. (The 2 other boards have Intel LAN cards).

I have Verizon gigabit fiber internet and I'm hardwired to a G3100 router. I have tried factory reseting the router and multiple cables. Additionally, the in-game network problems happen irrespective of my server ping. It happens on <20ms ping just as bad as 150ms.

I'm not sure if this is related, but when I run "nslookup <website name here>" in command prompt, it always says DNS request timed out after 2 seconds. However, if I turn on a VPN, it seems to work. Additionally, I've tried changing my DNS provider in both Windows and my router's settings and the problem persists. I tried flushing my DNS cache in command prompt last night which fixed it, but today the nslookup command says DNS request timed out again, regardless if I reset the cache.

I also have DNS-related events in event viewer as well as one from the Browser service.

I'm wondering why command prompt is saying this, and how to fix it.

Thank you.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-01-25T09:48:54+00:00

    FYI the only thing it asked me if I wanted to sync was previous iterations of desktops Ive owned that I used that MS account with. As far as onedrive goes, it did that on its own and didnt give me any option to not sync it. There was no "offer" so maybe that is new or perhaps I missed it.

    As for my wifi is there anything to worry about there regarding not being prompted for a password?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-01-25T09:54:43+00:00

    Yes, that is the sync that if you agreed would have brought over everything Windows (increasingly) syncs. I'm studying this to try to find ways it could reimport corruption - like, for example, reimporting AppData will do sometimes.

    If you agreed to sync Apps then it may be installing them as we write this in the Store app, and there may still be the chance to abort any you don't want. Depending on the connection and install speed it may take awhile to install them, plus there are others it thinks you might want that it installs so I'd check there now, under My Library and Get Updates.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-01-25T09:55:46+00:00

    I don't understand why a fresh install would not prompt for Wifi password if you know it's asked for on your other devices. Was there any Wifi setup during installation?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-01-25T10:09:36+00:00

    I did disable app syncing about 15 mins ago when you brought it up and so far none of my old applications have installed.

    Also, tomorrow I am going to update my bios as it is slightly out of date. Maybe that will fix my dns problem or game stability for Halo MCC. That's really the only thing youve listed left I havent tried. However, after that I am going to repeat the clean install and make note of the options it gives me. Because, like I said, I dont recall it asking me whether I wanted to sync my onedrive; It did that on its own without my knowledge. I want to go back and verify this.

    If my wifi password somehow got bundled in the data that was transfered over, despite me choosing to start fresh and not sync any previous configurations, I think that is very suspicious. Why that data need to be included? Like you said, what other data could have been bundled with this by default, and what problems could it cause? Especially annoying when trying to fix problems with their machines.

    It's also very upsetting that users can no longer make a new account that's local. Yes I know you can do it after the fact, but I feel like this is just another way for MS to sell customer's data. As soon as Halo is available on Linux I will definitely be switching over.

    Thanks for the help, I will reply again once I have an update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-01-25T10:12:58+00:00

    I have not seen the Wifi password sync'd between installs but they are adding new features to the sync recently so it might be.

    Since they won't even see it here, if you want to express your opinion on this you may be able to help Microsoft improve this product/experience by using the Feedback Hub in Start Menu. Microsoft developers DO read feedback from customers that comes in via the Feedback Hub, so that is a great way to share your thoughts on how to better serve you as a customer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments