Do you have any idea why I was able to connect to my home WiFi just now without entering the password? I use ethernet but wanted to test the WLAN drivers and it connected without entering its password. I unplugged the ethernet cord and it's working fine. I feel like that shouldn't happen esp because I just formatted this drive?...
DNS request timed out in command prompt
Hello, I've been experiencing issues with Halo MCC giving me this weird microstutter when I play online. In diagnosing it I've reinstalled windows completely, tried multiple sets of hardware (3 motherboards, 2 processors, 2 sets of ram, 2 graphics cards, 2 power supplies, and two SSDs). The only thing that's stayed the same is the actual license for Windows as it has booted fine on all 3 mobo's. Additionally, I had the problem on Win11, downgraded back to 10, then eventually upgraded back to 11 and the problem has persisted each time. I also did full clean repair installs everytime I swapped out the motherboard or SSD and installed my chipset drivers from a USB drive I saved them to.
With that out of the way, the mobo currently in my machine is an ASRock B450mac with a Realtek LAN card, just for reference. (The 2 other boards have Intel LAN cards).
I have Verizon gigabit fiber internet and I'm hardwired to a G3100 router. I have tried factory reseting the router and multiple cables. Additionally, the in-game network problems happen irrespective of my server ping. It happens on <20ms ping just as bad as 150ms.
I'm not sure if this is related, but when I run "nslookup <website name here>" in command prompt, it always says DNS request timed out after 2 seconds. However, if I turn on a VPN, it seems to work. Additionally, I've tried changing my DNS provider in both Windows and my router's settings and the problem persists. I tried flushing my DNS cache in command prompt last night which fixed it, but today the nslookup command says DNS request timed out again, regardless if I reset the cache.
I also have DNS-related events in event viewer as well as one from the Browser service.
I'm wondering why command prompt is saying this, and how to fix it.
Thank you.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Internet and connectivity
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
46 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2023-01-25T09:13:16+00:00 -
Anonymous
2023-01-25T09:21:26+00:00 Does your phone and other devices require the password?
Did you receive Wifi setup during the Installation Setup phase which normally happens unless it's not online at the time? You might have forgotten that since it happens in the midst of a bunch of other setup steps like OneDrive and applying sync. If it applied sync from the old install that could reimport corruption. Check in Settings > Accounts > Sync your Settings. It should not be on unless that was selected during Installation Setup.
-
Anonymous
2023-01-25T09:26:09+00:00 During set up it forced me the installer bugged out when I unplugged my ethernet cord to force local install. At that time I clicked on my wifi home network and it prompted me for the password but I didnt enter it. I dont even know it off the top of my head! I just used ethernet because the installer apparently didnt appreciate me pulling the cord out and wouldnt let me proceed without signing in.
Every other device on our network does require a password...
Edit: i selected to not sync my previous pc installs but it did link my onedrive. Is that why?
-
Anonymous
2023-01-25T09:31:54+00:00 My onedrive transfered over. Additionally remmber my apps says it's synced as well as remember my preferences, but none of my apps are on my pc. It appears fresh asides from a one drive document on my desktop.
Is that problematic?
I tried to force a local install but there was nothing on the screen for if you dont have internet and pulling my ethernet cable made my entire screen go black except for the box that lists network connections!
-
Anonymous
2023-01-25T09:42:31+00:00 They have apparently cut off any path to create a Local Account during install, but you can create one immediately after install and delete the MS Account, or change the MS Account to a Local in Settings > Accounts > Your Info > Sign in with a Local Account Instead.
I should have warned you to avoid the offers for sync and OneDrive. OneDrive is lately by default moving peoples Desktop, Downloads and Pictures folders into the OneDrive folder for Backup, and moving files to the cloud with only links left on hard drive under Files on Demand, by default and without permission. So I'd check those, too:
https://www.elevenforum.com/t/turn-on-or-off-on...
https://www.elevenforum.com/t/enable-or-disable...
So make sure those are set to your liking.