DNS request timed out in command prompt

Anonymous
2023-01-25T04:59:30+00:00

Hello, I've been experiencing issues with Halo MCC giving me this weird microstutter when I play online. In diagnosing it I've reinstalled windows completely, tried multiple sets of hardware (3 motherboards, 2 processors, 2 sets of ram, 2 graphics cards, 2 power supplies, and two SSDs). The only thing that's stayed the same is the actual license for Windows as it has booted fine on all 3 mobo's. Additionally, I had the problem on Win11, downgraded back to 10, then eventually upgraded back to 11 and the problem has persisted each time. I also did full clean repair installs everytime I swapped out the motherboard or SSD and installed my chipset drivers from a USB drive I saved them to.

With that out of the way, the mobo currently in my machine is an ASRock B450mac with a Realtek LAN card, just for reference. (The 2 other boards have Intel LAN cards).

I have Verizon gigabit fiber internet and I'm hardwired to a G3100 router. I have tried factory reseting the router and multiple cables. Additionally, the in-game network problems happen irrespective of my server ping. It happens on <20ms ping just as bad as 150ms.

I'm not sure if this is related, but when I run "nslookup <website name here>" in command prompt, it always says DNS request timed out after 2 seconds. However, if I turn on a VPN, it seems to work. Additionally, I've tried changing my DNS provider in both Windows and my router's settings and the problem persists. I tried flushing my DNS cache in command prompt last night which fixed it, but today the nslookup command says DNS request timed out again, regardless if I reset the cache.

I also have DNS-related events in event viewer as well as one from the Browser service.

I'm wondering why command prompt is saying this, and how to fix it.

Thank you.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-01-25T08:48:19+00:00

    Ok something is definitely going on then. At the time I thought it was strange but triple checked the link and download and it clearly said Win11 but it only let me install 10.

    I just did the clean install and am gonna knock out my drivers, but already nslookup google.com still times out just like before. I'll update once drivers are installed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-01-25T08:51:22+00:00

    Be sure to Expedite all WIndows Updates from Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Check for Updates . Install all including Optional, watch for prompt for Restart, then go back to check again until no more are offered.

    Then Update all drivers and BIOS/UEFI firmware from PC or motherboard maker's Support Downloads web page, using the full model number, Serial Number or Dell Service Tag on sticker.

    Compare the latest drivers available for download with the ones presently installed in Device Manager reached by right clicking the Start button. Make sure you have the latest BIOS or UEFI firmware, Chipset, Display (Video), Sound, USB3, Bluetooth, Network and all other drivers, or else download and install the latest now.

    Updating drivers from the Device Manager or Windows Update is rarely enough. The most basic thing we need to learn to maintain a PC is keep the latest manufacturer's drivers installed from their Support Downloads web page.

    Keep me posted on your progress as I will be here to help until the case is resolved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-01-25T08:58:42+00:00

    Yup, installed LAN, chipset, and GPU drivers then restarted and nslookup still times out after two seconds. And for your peace of mind I'm 100% sure I formatted everything just like it said to.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-01-25T09:00:15+00:00

    Ok, will do.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-01-25T09:03:58+00:00

    Keep me posted. Hopefully it will shake out after you complete the setup.

    If not I'd try the fixes again now that you have a pristine install.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments