DNS request timed out in command prompt

Anonymous
2023-01-25T04:59:30+00:00

Hello, I've been experiencing issues with Halo MCC giving me this weird microstutter when I play online. In diagnosing it I've reinstalled windows completely, tried multiple sets of hardware (3 motherboards, 2 processors, 2 sets of ram, 2 graphics cards, 2 power supplies, and two SSDs). The only thing that's stayed the same is the actual license for Windows as it has booted fine on all 3 mobo's. Additionally, I had the problem on Win11, downgraded back to 10, then eventually upgraded back to 11 and the problem has persisted each time. I also did full clean repair installs everytime I swapped out the motherboard or SSD and installed my chipset drivers from a USB drive I saved them to.

With that out of the way, the mobo currently in my machine is an ASRock B450mac with a Realtek LAN card, just for reference. (The 2 other boards have Intel LAN cards).

I have Verizon gigabit fiber internet and I'm hardwired to a G3100 router. I have tried factory reseting the router and multiple cables. Additionally, the in-game network problems happen irrespective of my server ping. It happens on <20ms ping just as bad as 150ms.

I'm not sure if this is related, but when I run "nslookup <website name here>" in command prompt, it always says DNS request timed out after 2 seconds. However, if I turn on a VPN, it seems to work. Additionally, I've tried changing my DNS provider in both Windows and my router's settings and the problem persists. I tried flushing my DNS cache in command prompt last night which fixed it, but today the nslookup command says DNS request timed out again, regardless if I reset the cache.

I also have DNS-related events in event viewer as well as one from the Browser service.

I'm wondering why command prompt is saying this, and how to fix it.

Thank you.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-01-26T06:26:10+00:00

    That's bizarre. It's almost like it's using the PC's MAC address to sync the store whether you want to or not. I don't know any other way it could know who you are. I also can't find any other examples of it on the web. I've not seen this before and I thought I'd seen it all.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-01-26T06:25:33+00:00

    Literally everything in that picture that says "Purchased *date*" besides it are apps that do NOT come with Windows. It's all stuff I'VE purchased in the past.

    They all are gone from the list now though.... It refreshed when I wasnt looking. Imagine if I hadnt been quick enough to take a photo and screenshot of it. Anyone online would think I'm nuts.

    This is actually a tad bit creepy to me if I'm being honest.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-01-26T06:11:50+00:00

    Yes the account works fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-01-26T06:10:25+00:00

    Ok hold up. Something is very wrong here. In the MS store, despite not being signed in to with ANY account, in the "library" section, it briefly listed 2 of my purchases before vanishing from the list shortly after. See how it says "purchased on 4/22? ****?

    I havent signed into ANY Microsoft accounts since I cleaned this drive. Not during the setup/install, not in edge, not in the store, NOWHERE.

    What the hell is going on here?

    I got it on camera (sorry for the bad quality) and took a screenshot but shortly after I recorded it, both programs vanished from the list!

    To clarify, I downloaded the media creation tool from the link in your first comment. I created the ISO on a thumb drive. I booted from said drive (UEFI), while in the installer I did the diskpart clean all command (I watched it complete successfully), I then installed Win 11 on the newly unallocated space, then I used the email trick to force a local user creation, then I installed my drivers, restarted my pc. I open the store and saw 2 of my previous purchases listed shortly before vanishing.

    What if I had sold this hard drive to someone!! Why were these purchases still on it!?! I think it's fair to say this is bizarre and very sketchy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-01-26T05:55:30+00:00

    Ok so it's this Tutorial's first method:

    https://www.techpowerup.com/300298/psa-how-to-u...

    Is that account usable once you get into Windows? Set up your password reset questions which is the only way to reset password for Local Account, from the Log In Screen.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments