Welcome Screen

Anonymous
2023-01-04T23:59:26+00:00

how can I reduce the time that the welcome screen is displayed when I start up my computer? By "welcome screen" I mean the screen that just shows my user ID and "Welcome"? It is on for FAR TOO LONG and no keystrokes will remove it!! It SO annoying.!

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows Hello, lock screen and sign-in

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Neil D 34,325 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-01-16T15:59:31+00:00

    For it to be a bug in Windows 10 it would be present in all installations, certainly not the case in mine. (the amount of time taken after I input my password is the same whether I use Start > Power > Shutdown or press the power button)

    If you have a branded computer then check the manufacturers website for driver support for Windows 10, and bios update. Or if a custom build the motherboard manufacturer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-01-16T15:14:38+00:00

    Yes , I have "Choose what the pressing the power button does" set to Shut down..

    Could there a bug in Windows 10 software?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Neil D 34,325 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-01-16T12:44:29+00:00

    I don't have an explanation, but yes it should be the same.

    I assume you have the power button set to Shutdown under Control Panel > Power options > Choose what the power buttons do.

    Selecting Start > Power > Shutdown should then power on should be the same whether you are using a clean boot or normal start, is this the case?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-01-16T12:38:45+00:00

    I have been in Clean Boot mode since Zadee C's advice on 5 January.

    But perhaps you could offer an explanation as to why when I shut down using "Start > Power > Shut Down" the welcome screen displays for only 10 seconds at the next start up, whereas if I shut down by pressing the power button, the welcome screen displays for 20 seconds (twice as long) at the next start up?? Surely shut down is shut down and start up is start up??!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Neil D 34,325 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-01-16T07:40:10+00:00

    Apart from a clean install there isn't much more can be done.

    At this point check to see if any start-up items are slowing boot by using a clean boot.

    How to perform a clean boot in Windows - Microsoft Support this turns off 3rd party items and leaves just windows processes temporarily while you test the boot time.

    If it is consistently quicker then you will have to turn things back on to see which has an effect.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments