This seems to show that I have Admin privileges, but please let me know if I am wrong as I am not an expert in this area. (Or any other area for that matter.)
Windows 11 File Explorer Preview Pane for PDF files not working consistently
I am running Windows 11 version 21H2 patched up to date and have noticed this problem recently, although I am not sure exactly when it started in relation to recent patches.
When I open a folder the preview pane shows "Select a file to preview".
Selecting a .jpg file shows the preview.
Selecting a .doc file shows "No preview available" - expected as I do not have Microsoft Office.
Selecting a .pdf file causes the preview pane to go blank.
My solution is to untick the Show Preview Pane option, close explorer, open explorer, tick the Show Preview Pane option.
Selecting a .pdf file now shows the preview. (This does not work without closing explorer and reopening it.)
Has anyone else experienced this, and more to the point, does anyone know of a fix?
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2023-02-15T20:49:43+00:00 -
Anonymous
2023-02-26T19:14:02+00:00 It works like charm for me.
Just download the PowerToys from Microsoft Store.
Open it up then Choose File Explorer add-ons/Click ON portable document format (PDF)
Close the File explorer then open it again. Wala~ If it it not working then turn off the Preview Panel then turn on again
In my case, no need to reboot your PC but it's no harm to do so afterward.
Thanks Ramesh for sharing this helpful tip.
-
Anonymous
2023-03-02T16:56:01+00:00 Thank you for the help! Whenever I would preview a pdf it would only display 2/3rds of the document and it was driving me crazy! Installing the Microsoft PowerToys PDF Preview handler and enabling the settings fixed the problem. The full pdf is now displayed in the preview pane! Thank you!
-
Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator2023-03-02T16:59:42+00:00 Thank you for the help! Whenever I would preview a pdf it would only display 2/3rds of the document and it was driving me crazy! Installing the Microsoft PowerToys PDF Preview handler and enabling the settings fixed the problem. The full pdf is now displayed in the preview pane! Thank you!
@Chris S_59
@AshtonDD
@Dan Bennett1
You're welcome. And thanks for the feedback.
-
Anonymous
2023-03-15T17:30:56+00:00 Here is an easy Solution for your problem https://pdf-preview-in-explorer.tiiny.site