Windows 11 File Explorer Preview Pane for PDF files not working consistently

Anonymous
2022-11-24T17:18:38+00:00

I am running Windows 11 version 21H2 patched up to date and have noticed this problem recently, although I am not sure exactly when it started in relation to recent patches.
When I open a folder the preview pane shows "Select a file to preview".
Selecting a .jpg file shows the preview.
Selecting a .doc file shows "No preview available" - expected as I do not have Microsoft Office.
Selecting a .pdf file causes the preview pane to go blank.

My solution is to untick the Show Preview Pane option, close explorer, open explorer, tick the Show Preview Pane option.
Selecting a .pdf file now shows the preview. (This does not work without closing explorer and reopening it.)
Has anyone else experienced this, and more to the point, does anyone know of a fix?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-11-24T17:27:04+00:00

    Hi StuartPJW,

    The preview handler module may be buggy, I'm not sure.

    As an alternative, you can try the Microsoft PowerToys PDF Preview handler.

    Install Microsoft PowerToys from Microsoft Store and enable the “Enable PDF (.pdf) preview” setting (under File Explorer Addons) in the PowerToys window. [More Info]

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-11-24T20:18:14+00:00

    Hi Ramesh,

    Thank you for the reply, but unfortunately it has not improved the situation, even after a reboot.

    I have noticed that some pdf files show a small box in the top left corner of the preview pane. I have not noticed this before.

    I have now turned on the thumbnail preview and that seems to work.

    It is better than it was.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-11-24T20:24:39+00:00

    Well that was a bit short lived.

    It has stopped working.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-11-25T15:46:50+00:00

    Hi Stuart,

    Some suggestions:

    • Clear the thumbnail cache using Disk Cleanup.
    • Try clean booting Windows and see if that resolves the issue.
    • Eliminate all non-Microsoft shell extensions (except the PowerToys PDF preview handler) and start a clean instance of Explorer. You can do that using ShellExView from Nirsoft.
    • Create a new local admin account and see if the problem is system-wide or profile-specific.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-11-25T15:57:49+00:00

    Hi Ramesh,

    Thank you, but I think I will live with the problem rather than try fiddling about with things to see what happens.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments