Windows 11 File Explorer Preview Pane for PDF files not working consistently

Anonymous
2022-11-24T17:18:38+00:00

I am running Windows 11 version 21H2 patched up to date and have noticed this problem recently, although I am not sure exactly when it started in relation to recent patches.
When I open a folder the preview pane shows "Select a file to preview".
Selecting a .jpg file shows the preview.
Selecting a .doc file shows "No preview available" - expected as I do not have Microsoft Office.
Selecting a .pdf file causes the preview pane to go blank.

My solution is to untick the Show Preview Pane option, close explorer, open explorer, tick the Show Preview Pane option.
Selecting a .pdf file now shows the preview. (This does not work without closing explorer and reopening it.)
Has anyone else experienced this, and more to the point, does anyone know of a fix?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-01-19T17:26:26+00:00

    Apologies for my error.

    Right-click does give me a run option, but from there the result is exactly the same as before.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-01-19T17:17:38+00:00

    Clicking Start did not give me a run option.

    Sorry. But that's NOT what I said. I said, "right-click", but you simply clicked Start.

    Right-click is NOT the same as left-click.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-01-19T17:09:35+00:00

    Your reply does not instill me with confidence.

    Clicking Start did not give me a run option.

    When I attempted to run "cleanmgr.exe" the system ran a program which only had a option to select a drive.

    Thanks, but I think I will live with what I have.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-01-19T02:47:15+00:00

    See How to Clear the Thumbnail Cache in Windows 10 or 11

    • Right-click Start, click Run.
    • Type cleanmgr.exe and click OK.
    • Uncheck all the entries except Thumbnails
    • Click OK.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-01-18T16:15:13+00:00

    "Clear the thumbnail cache using Disk Cleanup." ??

    Can you please enlighten us on how to do this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments