Apologies for my error.
Right-click does give me a run option, but from there the result is exactly the same as before.
I suspect you do not have Admin privileges on this PC.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I am running Windows 11 version 21H2 patched up to date and have noticed this problem recently, although I am not sure exactly when it started in relation to recent patches.
When I open a folder the preview pane shows "Select a file to preview".
Selecting a .jpg file shows the preview.
Selecting a .doc file shows "No preview available" - expected as I do not have Microsoft Office.
Selecting a .pdf file causes the preview pane to go blank.
My solution is to untick the Show Preview Pane option, close explorer, open explorer, tick the Show Preview Pane option.
Selecting a .pdf file now shows the preview. (This does not work without closing explorer and reopening it.)
Has anyone else experienced this, and more to the point, does anyone know of a fix?
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Apologies for my error.
Right-click does give me a run option, but from there the result is exactly the same as before.
I suspect you do not have Admin privileges on this PC.
I installed the PowerToys and it worked like a charm.
Yes, it's weird isn't it. These machines have minds of their own.
I have just discovered that I can view all file types perfectly well if they are in a folder on this PC. Previously I was accessing them via my LAN, as they were in the onedrive folder on my other PC.
Anyway, problem solved for now, as I have just made a copy of all the relevant files onto this PC.
Good luck!
I don't think I can help you much other than to say that it works fine on my system and I have Paint Shop Pro 7 as my default viewer for jpg files.
I don't think that this has anything to do with your problem as the preview of jpg files worked before I changed the default viewer.
My pdf problem seems to have mainly gone away. There is still one quirk in that the first pdf I preview after system boot does not allow me to scroll down the preview to see the whole file. If I switch to another pdf I can scroll down this pdf and when I switch back to the first one that scrolls OK as well.
Good luck.
I have a similar, but different problem.
My preview pane shows PDF, docx, xlsx all no problem. But it doesn't show jpg files.
I'm in win11 and I have set Photos as the default app to open jpgs, which it does correctly.
I'd be grateful for any insights to help me correct this.