Finally!!! PowerToys worked for me. Thanks so much!
Windows 11 File Explorer Preview Pane for PDF files not working consistently
I am running Windows 11 version 21H2 patched up to date and have noticed this problem recently, although I am not sure exactly when it started in relation to recent patches.
When I open a folder the preview pane shows "Select a file to preview".
Selecting a .jpg file shows the preview.
Selecting a .doc file shows "No preview available" - expected as I do not have Microsoft Office.
Selecting a .pdf file causes the preview pane to go blank.
My solution is to untick the Show Preview Pane option, close explorer, open explorer, tick the Show Preview Pane option.
Selecting a .pdf file now shows the preview. (This does not work without closing explorer and reopening it.)
Has anyone else experienced this, and more to the point, does anyone know of a fix?
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2023-06-16T23:17:49+00:00 -
Anonymous
2023-05-23T19:01:26+00:00 Acrobat Adobe Pro x64
PowerToys works when this problem exists. I continually have the pdfs not showing in preview pane with the color of background and/or white pane.
PowerToys is set to pdf it does not change anything.
I wish Microsoft would remove questions/etc. that are not accurate.
To have answers to all options available to correct the preview pane not showing pdfs to investigate.
Tired of searching online to get the same "is preview pane on" "is pdf thumbnails checked" then it ends on 90% of online searches without the options options.
Like: via settings, via regedit.msc, via cmd, via wps, bat file, etc
There are more than one option and they should all be available from MIcrosoft instead of customers.
-
Anonymous
2023-05-20T20:29:06+00:00 The only Solution is ---- Sign In your Acrobate reader and you will get the preview for your Pdf file
-
Anonymous
2023-03-29T16:34:19+00:00 -
Anonymous
2023-03-15T19:06:27+00:00 I've had the same issues with pdf preview handler in windows file explorer and outlook. Was just able to resolve by checking a box! It's a preferences setting to enable pdf thumbnail previews in windows explorer. Enable thumbnail preview of PDFs in Windows Explorer (adobe.com)