Windows 11 File Explorer Preview Pane for PDF files not working consistently

Anonymous
2022-11-24T17:18:38+00:00

I am running Windows 11 version 21H2 patched up to date and have noticed this problem recently, although I am not sure exactly when it started in relation to recent patches.
When I open a folder the preview pane shows "Select a file to preview".
Selecting a .jpg file shows the preview.
Selecting a .doc file shows "No preview available" - expected as I do not have Microsoft Office.
Selecting a .pdf file causes the preview pane to go blank.

My solution is to untick the Show Preview Pane option, close explorer, open explorer, tick the Show Preview Pane option.
Selecting a .pdf file now shows the preview. (This does not work without closing explorer and reopening it.)
Has anyone else experienced this, and more to the point, does anyone know of a fix?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-10-21T17:49:44+00:00

    I agree with you.

    Last week (or possibly the week before) the preview stopped working again.

    This was just after I had updated Powertoys and as I couldn't see any way of removing the update I simply removed it.

    All is now working again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-10-21T10:24:48+00:00

    I have Power Toys version 0.74.1 (latest I think).

    I doesn't seem to have a File Explorer option.

    I am convinced that this problem we are all having is due to Microsoft updates in Windows 11.

    Mine used to work fine until I had an update which caued the preview to vanish. Then after another update I now get a thumbnail in the top left of the preview pane, which is useless.

    If anyone who works for Microsoft reads this, I would be very happy to hear his/her response.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-10-02T15:04:25+00:00

    It seems many people have this problem. Wih my Win 11 Pro, Explorer worked perfectly by previewing pdf files (a function hat i eally needed) bu then I had a Windows update and the preview no frustratingly longer worked. Now I have had a further update and I do get a small represenation of the pdf page but it is not clear enough to read it (music in my case).

    I have tried all the mentioned suggestins for a fix to no avail.

    So I am certain that this is a Windows update problem. They stopped it working, now they have to get it working again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-10-02T15:03:19+00:00

    It seems many people have this problem. With my Win 11 Pro, Explorer worked perfectly by previewing pdf files (a function that I really needed) but then I had a Windows update and the preview frustratingly no longer worked. Now I have had a further update and I do get a small represenation of the pdf page but it is not clear enough to read it (music in my case).

    I have tried all the mentioned suggestions for a fix to no avail.

    So I am certain that this is a Windows update problem. They stopped it working, now they have to get it working again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-06-18T10:14:49+00:00

    But not for word excel and other older Office (2007) versions. Anyone else have a solution for that?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments