Windows 11 File Explorer Preview Pane for PDF files not working consistently

Anonymous
2022-11-24T17:18:38+00:00

I am running Windows 11 version 21H2 patched up to date and have noticed this problem recently, although I am not sure exactly when it started in relation to recent patches.
When I open a folder the preview pane shows "Select a file to preview".
Selecting a .jpg file shows the preview.
Selecting a .doc file shows "No preview available" - expected as I do not have Microsoft Office.
Selecting a .pdf file causes the preview pane to go blank.

My solution is to untick the Show Preview Pane option, close explorer, open explorer, tick the Show Preview Pane option.
Selecting a .pdf file now shows the preview. (This does not work without closing explorer and reopening it.)
Has anyone else experienced this, and more to the point, does anyone know of a fix?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-12-02T09:50:39+00:00

    I have done everything and I mean everything! Nothing works. I am convinced that this is caused by a Win 11 update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-12-02T07:11:45+00:00

    I found this: https://helpx.adobe.com/au/acrobat/using/enable-pdf-thumbnail-preview-windows-explorer.html

    Upshot is, I had to tick a box that became unticked in a windows/acrobat/other??? update.

    It says for Acrobat XI and Reader XI, the thumbnails of PDFs are automatically shown in Windows Explorer on Windows 32-bit systems. However, the same is not supported on Windows 64-bit systems.

    Open Acrobat or Acrobat Reader. On the Edit menu, choose Preferences.

    In the Preferences dialog box, choose General in the Categories list, and then select the Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer check box.

    I needed to restart as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-29T08:27:35+00:00

    Nothing works for me. I have tried everything recommended here and on the Internet in vain. Is was working perfectly, now it isn't and the only explanation is that this happened after a Win 11 update.

    Yesterday I read an article about this problem that so many people have, and I edited the Registry - didn't work. Damned annoying.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-11-28T17:57:11+00:00

    I don't have Power Toys installed and it works fine for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-11-28T14:40:39+00:00

    I promise it is Power Toys Preview Handler.

    Click Search on Taskbar

    Search Power Toys App

    Update

    Restart computer (optional)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments