Windows 11 File Explorer Preview Pane for PDF files not working consistently

Anonymous
2022-11-24T17:18:38+00:00

I am running Windows 11 version 21H2 patched up to date and have noticed this problem recently, although I am not sure exactly when it started in relation to recent patches.
When I open a folder the preview pane shows "Select a file to preview".
Selecting a .jpg file shows the preview.
Selecting a .doc file shows "No preview available" - expected as I do not have Microsoft Office.
Selecting a .pdf file causes the preview pane to go blank.

My solution is to untick the Show Preview Pane option, close explorer, open explorer, tick the Show Preview Pane option.
Selecting a .pdf file now shows the preview. (This does not work without closing explorer and reopening it.)
Has anyone else experienced this, and more to the point, does anyone know of a fix?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-03-02T16:59:42+00:00

    Thank you for the help! Whenever I would preview a pdf it would only display 2/3rds of the document and it was driving me crazy! Installing the Microsoft PowerToys PDF Preview handler and enabling the settings fixed the problem. The full pdf is now displayed in the preview pane! Thank you!

    @Chris S_59

    @AshtonDD

    @Dan Bennett1

    You're welcome. And thanks for the feedback.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-03-02T16:56:01+00:00

    Thank you for the help! Whenever I would preview a pdf it would only display 2/3rds of the document and it was driving me crazy! Installing the Microsoft PowerToys PDF Preview handler and enabling the settings fixed the problem. The full pdf is now displayed in the preview pane! Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-02-15T20:49:43+00:00

    This seems to show that I have Admin privileges, but please let me know if I am wrong as I am not an expert in this area. (Or any other area for that matter.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-02-11T16:35:41+00:00

    Apologies for my error.

    Right-click does give me a run option, but from there the result is exactly the same as before.

    I suspect you do not have Admin privileges on this PC.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-01-20T18:37:35+00:00

    I installed the PowerToys and it worked like a charm.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments