Windows 11 File Explorer Preview Pane for PDF files not working consistently

Anonymous
2022-11-24T17:18:38+00:00

I am running Windows 11 version 21H2 patched up to date and have noticed this problem recently, although I am not sure exactly when it started in relation to recent patches.
When I open a folder the preview pane shows "Select a file to preview".
Selecting a .jpg file shows the preview.
Selecting a .doc file shows "No preview available" - expected as I do not have Microsoft Office.
Selecting a .pdf file causes the preview pane to go blank.

My solution is to untick the Show Preview Pane option, close explorer, open explorer, tick the Show Preview Pane option.
Selecting a .pdf file now shows the preview. (This does not work without closing explorer and reopening it.)
Has anyone else experienced this, and more to the point, does anyone know of a fix?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-11-24T17:27:04+00:00

    Hi StuartPJW,

    The preview handler module may be buggy, I'm not sure.

    As an alternative, you can try the Microsoft PowerToys PDF Preview handler.

    Install Microsoft PowerToys from Microsoft Store and enable the “Enable PDF (.pdf) preview” setting (under File Explorer Addons) in the PowerToys window. [More Info]

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-01-19T02:47:15+00:00

    See How to Clear the Thumbnail Cache in Windows 10 or 11

    • Right-click Start, click Run.
    • Type cleanmgr.exe and click OK.
    • Uncheck all the entries except Thumbnails
    • Click OK.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-01-19T17:17:38+00:00

    Clicking Start did not give me a run option.

    Sorry. But that's NOT what I said. I said, "right-click", but you simply clicked Start.

    Right-click is NOT the same as left-click.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-02-26T19:14:02+00:00

    It works like charm for me.

    Just download the PowerToys from Microsoft Store.

    Open it up then Choose File Explorer add-ons/Click ON portable document format (PDF)

    Close the File explorer then open it again. Wala~ If it it not working then turn off the Preview Panel then turn on again

    In my case, no need to reboot your PC but it's no harm to do so afterward.

    Thanks Ramesh for sharing this helpful tip.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-12-02T09:50:39+00:00

    I have done everything and I mean everything! Nothing works. I am convinced that this is caused by a Win 11 update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments