HP - USB - 12/10/2018 12:00:00 AM - 49.0.4411.18331 update doesn't install.

Anonymous
2022-10-30T05:09:35+00:00

Hello there,

"HP - USB - 12/10/2018 12:00:00 AM - 49.0.4411.18331" is an update that is really annoying me. It has always been there since the day I got my laptop. (Its been over a year)

At first, whenever I would check for windows update, this update would pop up every time, and would install and go away. Every time. This happened every single time I checked for an update.

Yesterday, I checked for an update, and sure enough, this update popped up. But instead of installing and going away, it gave me an install error. And no matter how many times I retry to install it, it doesn't install and keeps on giving me an install error.

I cant even check for updates now, unless this thing is installed.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
John DeV 170.4K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2022-10-30T05:40:39+00:00

Hello Roshaan,

Good day! I'm John Dev a Windows user like you and I'll be happy to assist you today. I know this has been difficult for you, Rest assured, I'm going to do my best to help you.

Note: It is always recommended to download and install drivers from the manufacturer's Support page. If you're not experiencing any hardware issues, there's no need to install this driver update.

Please try using the “Show or Hide Updates” troubleshooter to hide the driver updates. Window Update won’t install hidden drivers or updates. Run the troubleshooter then please try hiding the driver updates that will show in the list. You may try restarting your pc if it helps.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F2...

Kindly let me know if this helps or if you have any further concerns.

Kind regards,

John DeV

Independent Advisor

Was this answer helpful?

80+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-11-26T12:51:16+00:00

    @Roshaan Umar Never mind, the bugged update came back as soon as I plugged in the printer back in my laptop. I tried installing the driver in multiple different ways (via 2 options available at HP website, manual (10MB) and automatic (21MB) and via windows automatic driver installation).

    Nothing helped :(

    I'm gonna try this small utility (virus total report) to rather hide the update permanently and see if it works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-11-26T11:02:57+00:00

    @Roshaan Umar

    oh you have the same printer, so definitely, it has to do something with printer only. I think the issue is both of us did not install the driver ourselves, manually, rather we let Windows handle the automatic driver installation and that is why we are seeing this issue.

    You should right uninstall that hidden entry, one that is available in your screenshot. Right click on "HP Laser 103 107 108" entry and then click on "Uninstall device".

    I also found two more similar HP branded entries in other categories in the Device Manager, though I don't remember the name of the category. I uninstalled all of found entries.

    I did face an issue uninstalling one of them though. So, if you get an error while clicking on "Uninstall Device", just skip that entry and move on to the next entry and then retry to uninstall the entry once again. Restart your laptop one or two times and finally check for Windows Update and you should not see the bugged update now, hopefully.

    You can reinstall the driver directly from HP if you plan on using the printer again. This is the link I used to download the latest driver, I downloaded "HP Laser 100 Printer series Print Driver" version 1.19, size 22.7MB. Please be sure to check if you have the same printer and website region.

    Let me know if this helps you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-11-26T06:28:02+00:00

    Hello there. I did what you told me to, but I can't figure out what to do next. Yes, I have a HP Laser 103 107 108 printer at home, so I thought I should check what you told me. This is what I see:

    The one printer option that is highlighted was hidden. Am I supposed to do something about it? Or could it be something else that's causing the problem?

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-11-26T05:50:07+00:00

    @Roshaan Umar ahh You have a HP laptop, then maybe it could be any number of issues for you but I guess you could try doing what I tried yesterday after posting my comment.

    I finally resolved my issue, or at least, this pop-up hasn't returned in last 12 hours. It was related to a HP laser printer (HP 108A) I have in my house. If you are using some HP printer or have ever connected to a HP printer even once, then I'd suggest you to do the same thing once.

    Go to the device manager (Win + X button and then press M). In device manager, enable "Show hidden devices" from the "View" menu. Look for anything related to HP printer, I had 3-4 hidden HP printer related entries, I uninstalled them all, restarted 2-3 times and then installed the latest driver from HP website directly.

    I'll update if the issues comes back in my case. Till then, best of luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments