cumulative updates fail to install. Both KB5018410 and KB5016616 failed on installation.

Anonymous
2022-10-14T22:36:07+00:00

My computer is a DELL Optiplex 3020. Both recent cumulative updates (KB5018410 and KB5016616) have failed on installation. The code is 0x800f0845. I have tried all the suggested things to try to get the update to go through up to an in-place update. All other updates go through with no problem. Just the cumulative updates. I have version 21H2 build 19044.1826.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-10-25T13:52:14+00:00

    thanks glezbsg,

    I cross posted in that one too....

    In August MS seems to have broken "Secure Boot" and finally admit it: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-10-20h2#2883msgdesc

    Disturbing thing is this is a different error code (0x800f0922 vs our 0x800F0845)

    In my case I can get past the error 0x800F0845 by changing NVMe drivers, but that's not a fix for 150 machines... and given everyone posting's setup, isn't limited to NVMe.

    Trying to figure out the if this newer wave of failures since 2022-10 are even related to the ones from 2022-09 & 2022-08 or did Microsoft break something else?

    My problem also got uglier today as most of my rebooting machines are 21H1 and are EOL as of December. These machines are now not only rebooting from 2022-10, but are now taking the "Feature Update" to 22H2 and also blue screening.

    I'll be in my office\lab in an hour and diving deeper....

    Mike

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-10-25T14:25:18+00:00

    Hi all

    I've been struggling to install Windows 10 updates since August.

    PC is Dell Inspiron 5570

    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz 1.80 GHz

    Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.90 GB usable)

    Device ID 45E57600-E5D4-4434-9E0B-5C5D8F829FB8

    Product ID 00325-96348-92892-AAOEM

    System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

    Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

    Edition Windows 10 Home

    Version 21H1

    Installed on ‎02/‎10/‎2020

    OS build 19043.1826

    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0

    Every day I turn my PC on, it struggles for hours with Task Manager showing 100% disk usage by either Windows Module Installer, System, SmartByte Telemetry and sometimes WSAPPX.

    In addition, the PC frequently freezes and the mouse pointer doesn't move (almost like the inbuilt mouse pad has stopped responding).

    I frequently run Dell Support Assistant to ensure everything is up to date.

    Eventually, the disk usage drops and the PC becomes usable, however Windows update shows the update has failed.

    Its now getting very frustrating, especially as the Acer PCs in the rest of the family have installed these updates without issue.

    I've got McAfee Anti-Virus and Google Chrome installed on the machine.

    I've tried various fixes but nothing works.

    Can anyone suggest a solution?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-10-25T19:24:36+00:00

    Multiple stock Intel NUCs (NUC7i3BNB) are crashing after installing KB5018545 on Windows 10 21H2 (and also same after upgrading to 22H2).

    Black screen after first reboot. Error 0x800f0845 after rollback.

    Does anyone actually test these updates at all? This is ridiculous.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-10-25T20:36:33+00:00

    So I started off today with a new USB and MS Media Creation tool creating a 32\64 install thumb of 22H2

    I put two failing Gigabyte H110N machines on the bench, used DISKPART and wiped both.

    Starting with the Machine A, I loaded a 64 bit version and after booting took the 2022-10 and it booted perfectly

    I then tool Machine A wiped it again and reloaded a 64 bit version as EFI and after booting took the 2022-10 and it still booted perfectly

    Starting with the Machine B, I loaded a 32 bit version and after booting took the 2022-10 and it failed as expected.

    I Tried downloading the 2022-10 as a .MUI and it Failed

    I disabled everything I could in the BIOS and it Failed

    I wiped Machine B, and Added a SATA 860 Pro SSD and loaded 32 bit and took 2022-10 and it Worked!

    I know from the past Using the Samsung NVMe driver will make the systems work, so I decided to a like test hacking.

    I reloaded the M.2 again with 22H2 x32 and Prior to the update I took a copy of original Microsoft's stornvme.sys, I then took the 2022-10 update and during the reboot I pulled the drive stuck it in Machine A and took ownership and swapped out the newer version for the original.

    After putting the drive back in Machine B and it booted, and finished the upgrade :)

    I Now have a perfectly working 22H2 box with 2022-10 running the original 22H2 stornvme.sys.... Of coarse I would never put this into production as it will probably die again with the next cumulative, but it proved that MS broke their NVMe driver which is exactly what I first diagnosed.

    So.. no matter what I did it I couldn't break 64bit and 32bit I can't fix without switching 150 machines NVMe Driver to Samsung.

    I presume all our issues are bugs related to the changes for Secure Boot, just sad that the engineers at Microsoft really don't know what their doing and are completely hidden from the world and the chaos they cause.

    This is so frustrating!

    Regards,

    Mike Pisano

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-10-26T23:00:28+00:00

    I also have the same problem. The Windows 10 64-bit system is using the Samsung NVMe Controller, but I run a Windows 10 32-bit VM. The VM has the Standard NVM Express Controller, so it failed on KB5018410 and also on 22H2. I can't install the Samsung drivers on the VM, so these updates won't install.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments