cumulative updates fail to install. Both KB5018410 and KB5016616 failed on installation.

Anonymous
2022-10-14T22:36:07+00:00

My computer is a DELL Optiplex 3020. Both recent cumulative updates (KB5018410 and KB5016616) have failed on installation. The code is 0x800f0845. I have tried all the suggested things to try to get the update to go through up to an in-place update. All other updates go through with no problem. Just the cumulative updates. I have version 21H2 build 19044.1826.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-10-25T08:24:39+00:00

    Same problem for days now, installing update W10 21H2 for x64 based systems ( KB5018410) repeatedly fails with error code 0x800f0831.

    Problem solvers do not help, neither do software or hardware checks such as sfc.exe of health scannow.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-10-25T10:18:13+00:00

    I am going to take one of my failing Gigabyte machines and try x64 version of 22H2 (it fails with x86)

    I'm also going to try both x86 and x64 without my hidden tools partition.

    It's only a hunch, but most manufactures (Lenovo, Dell, HP...) put a hidden partition in place to "Factory Wipe" the device and restore... It's the one thing in common with most of us and possibly this coupled with the changes and problems Microsoft is having with Secure boot has something to do with our partition tables.

    Also - MS posted an article on how to disable Secure boot... this test might help some of us

    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/disabling-secure-boot?view=windows-11

    Regards,

    Mike Pisano

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-10-25T10:41:12+00:00

    I’m having the issue with an old PC I’ve setup for my young Grandson to play his learning games.

    Acer Aspire Z5700 running Windows 10 Pro 64. Kingston A400 120GB SSD.

    It’s a fresh install as of 19th October. No hidden restore partitions on the drive. The drive previously had Linux installed but I killed all partitions to install Windows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-10-25T12:17:12+00:00

    Hi Mike,

    Mine is a HP Z220 CMT, with a brand new SSD, first install win 7 then updated to 10,

    ProductName ReleaseID CurrentBuild InstallDate


    Windows 7 Professional 7601 25.11.2020 11:31:13

    Windows 10 Pro 2009 19044 25.11.2020 12:45:59

    Secure Boot disabled ever since, because of an old Nvidia adapter.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-10-25T13:28:26+00:00

    I know this has been posted before but just as a reminder, this thread has been trying to diagnose the problem since the beginning of August. The trouble shooters are worthless as are all the standard fixes for Windows Update problems. It happens on Windows 10 and Windows 11.

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-update-kb5016616-kb5017308-kb5017380/8722de52-46ca-44ed-af4f-281b9f57a225

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments