cumulative updates fail to install. Both KB5018410 and KB5016616 failed on installation.

Anonymous
2022-10-14T22:36:07+00:00

My computer is a DELL Optiplex 3020. Both recent cumulative updates (KB5018410 and KB5016616) have failed on installation. The code is 0x800f0845. I have tried all the suggested things to try to get the update to go through up to an in-place update. All other updates go through with no problem. Just the cumulative updates. I have version 21H2 build 19044.1826.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-10-21T13:50:11+00:00

    I have around 150 machines currently rebooting daily and reverting with "Automatic Repair" while we wait for Microsoft to acknowledge and fix this!

    Symptom:

    Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800F0845: 2022-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10

    Stop Code: SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

    Issues:

    Microsoft has broken "Microsoft NVM Express Controller" in 2022-10

    Suggestions:

    If you have a Samsung NVMe\M.2 installed in your device you can download their driver and 2022-10 will install properly. (You can check in Device Manager under Storage Controllers)

    I have been hoping for others to follow and join this thread: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/778385/kb5018410-2022-10-cumulative-update-fails-0x800f0845-on-windows-10-21h1-32bit/

    Also Note, I have installed 22H2 from scratch which installed and again after loading the 2022-10 Cumulative Blue Screens.

    I would recommend if you don't want to or are scared to change your M.2 Driver just wait for Microsoft to fix this.... Inplace updates and SFC and DISM wont fix this.... you will only make things worse.

    HTH,

    Mike Pisano

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-10-21T11:01:29+00:00

    I Have the same issues on Dell s optiplex 3010, 8 the same machines, Everything i try and nothing.
    Even if new update 22H2 the same spinning circle.
    Even i put SSD with OS to another machine, not dell related after install all drivers i want to update... Still the same issue.

    Any advice?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-10-19T13:06:12+00:00

    Dell XPS here and the same issue. Tried all the suggested solution but without any luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-10-18T17:07:55+00:00

    In place upgrade reapir dis not worked, computer hangs and eventually reverts back and having to shut it down twice

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-10-18T17:07:09+00:00

    Yes this is happening in 2 different Dell computer

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments