cumulative updates fail to install. Both KB5018410 and KB5016616 failed on installation.

Anonymous
2022-10-14T22:36:07+00:00

My computer is a DELL Optiplex 3020. Both recent cumulative updates (KB5018410 and KB5016616) have failed on installation. The code is 0x800f0845. I have tried all the suggested things to try to get the update to go through up to an in-place update. All other updates go through with no problem. Just the cumulative updates. I have version 21H2 build 19044.1826.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-10-24T15:57:49+00:00

    ThinkPad X1C using a U6300 i5 and Surface Pro 4 Laptop using a i7 1185G7 are the models with the issue I have.

    Downloads fine. Installs. Computer reboots to finish the update. Gets to 9%. Then fails and reverts the update.

    This occurs when I install the update manually from the catalog and when I use SCCM to push the update.

    As stated before, this does not occur on all models. I've had the update install successfully on a multitude of other computers but different models. My computers are running Windows 10 21H2.

    Edited: Same issue with Out of Band Update KB5020435

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-10-24T14:36:14+00:00

    I can tell you this is NOT only Dell computers...

    I agree, I have seen it on Asus and Gigabyte Motherboards... Mainly I7-6700 CPU's (apox 100 rebooting daily)

    For me "So far" I've Only seen it with 32bit version of windows 10 and using the "Microsoft NVM Express Controller". (but that is most of my WAN)

    As documented if I switch to the Samsung M.2 Driver everything works perfect.

    Also don't know if it's relevant but my boot partition is NOT the first on the disk\ssd.... and typically DELL and HP's also have their own recovery type hidden partitions.

    Not sure why ProxMox VM's would fail.... I've tested 22H2 (x32) with 2022-10 on a HyperV and it worked find... and a new install on Gigabyte metal crashes.

    It would be helpful if everyone having this issue could respond with their Computer model, Windows Version (32\64) and boot drive model.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-10-24T13:52:31+00:00

    I can tell you this is NOT only Dell computers...

    I have my home lab virtualized on ProxMox, and all my ProxMox virtuals are doing this too. I have tried everything listed above, and have even reinstalled 100% from scratch and still end up in the same place. I really hope this gets resolved soon! Hopefully knowing it's not just Dell machines may help find a common link.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-10-24T12:03:03+00:00

    In Device Manager what is listed under:

    1. Storage Controllers?
    2. Disk Drives?

    In Settings \ About, What Version of Windows and is it 64 or 32 bit?

    Regards,

    Mike

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-10-24T11:34:31+00:00

    Hello, i have done this several times i don't rename the softwaredistribution folder, i delete it and restart the laptop and also check the services bits, wsus etc to see they are running and try, the update does not install, i have decided to pause for any update until someone is able to confirm a fix for this error (0x8007000d) is the error i have my end for KB5018410 update. it happens on Dell and HP laptops i have hard like 3 machines with errors.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments