cumulative updates fail to install. Both KB5018410 and KB5016616 failed on installation.

Anonymous
2022-10-14T22:36:07+00:00

My computer is a DELL Optiplex 3020. Both recent cumulative updates (KB5018410 and KB5016616) have failed on installation. The code is 0x800f0845. I have tried all the suggested things to try to get the update to go through up to an in-place update. All other updates go through with no problem. Just the cumulative updates. I have version 21H2 build 19044.1826.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-10-24T18:31:15+00:00

    I have the same problem on a Dell Precision M4700; i7 quad core; Win 10 x64; standard OS and OEM partitions; upgraded from Win7; Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller. I have an external USB drive plugged in. Not sure if that makes a difference. Drivers and bios are up to date.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-10-24T18:28:46+00:00

    I have a Dell Latitude 3500 with an Intel i7 proc and storage controller. Windows is x64......not x86. I believe my laptop also has the normal OS/OEM partitions as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-10-24T18:03:33+00:00

    Unfortunately we are just a bunch of users so far....

    I'm just trying to see if there anything else in common between all of us....

    My entire environment is all 32 bit, but only the machines with M.2 boot devices are failing for 2022-10, Older Machines with SATA upgraded fine.

    They have acknowledge an issue with "Secure Boot" that looks similar (ie After Cumulative, it reboots and reverts) but this was the 2022-08 which had loaded fine on all my machines.

    I think it's might be good if people check to see if they have installed the Aug and Sept Cumulative or if it's just October failing.

    Regards,

    Mike

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-10-24T17:33:38+00:00

    The update has been out for nearly 2 weeks. It probably a non-issue for them.

    I managed to get it installed on 1 device after clearing cache and using the manual update about 10-15 times. Although it reported as if it failed, but it then showed up as installed in programs and features.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-10-24T16:15:25+00:00

    Has microsoft even acknowledged there's a problem? Are we just a bunch of end users complaining to each other while they do nothing or is there light at the end of the tunnel, or even someone working on the problem? I certainly have enough machines that I can provide logs and do testing if there's an effort to do so?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments