cumulative updates fail to install. Both KB5018410 and KB5016616 failed on installation.

Anonymous
2022-10-14T22:36:07+00:00

My computer is a DELL Optiplex 3020. Both recent cumulative updates (KB5018410 and KB5016616) have failed on installation. The code is 0x800f0845. I have tried all the suggested things to try to get the update to go through up to an in-place update. All other updates go through with no problem. Just the cumulative updates. I have version 21H2 build 19044.1826.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-10-25T14:25:18+00:00

    Hi all

    I've been struggling to install Windows 10 updates since August.

    PC is Dell Inspiron 5570

    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz 1.80 GHz

    Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.90 GB usable)

    Device ID 45E57600-E5D4-4434-9E0B-5C5D8F829FB8

    Product ID 00325-96348-92892-AAOEM

    System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

    Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

    Edition Windows 10 Home

    Version 21H1

    Installed on ‎02/‎10/‎2020

    OS build 19043.1826

    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0

    Every day I turn my PC on, it struggles for hours with Task Manager showing 100% disk usage by either Windows Module Installer, System, SmartByte Telemetry and sometimes WSAPPX.

    In addition, the PC frequently freezes and the mouse pointer doesn't move (almost like the inbuilt mouse pad has stopped responding).

    I frequently run Dell Support Assistant to ensure everything is up to date.

    Eventually, the disk usage drops and the PC becomes usable, however Windows update shows the update has failed.

    Its now getting very frustrating, especially as the Acer PCs in the rest of the family have installed these updates without issue.

    I've got McAfee Anti-Virus and Google Chrome installed on the machine.

    I've tried various fixes but nothing works.

    Can anyone suggest a solution?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-10-25T13:52:14+00:00

    thanks glezbsg,

    I cross posted in that one too....

    In August MS seems to have broken "Secure Boot" and finally admit it: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-10-20h2#2883msgdesc

    Disturbing thing is this is a different error code (0x800f0922 vs our 0x800F0845)

    In my case I can get past the error 0x800F0845 by changing NVMe drivers, but that's not a fix for 150 machines... and given everyone posting's setup, isn't limited to NVMe.

    Trying to figure out the if this newer wave of failures since 2022-10 are even related to the ones from 2022-09 & 2022-08 or did Microsoft break something else?

    My problem also got uglier today as most of my rebooting machines are 21H1 and are EOL as of December. These machines are now not only rebooting from 2022-10, but are now taking the "Feature Update" to 22H2 and also blue screening.

    I'll be in my office\lab in an hour and diving deeper....

    Mike

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-10-25T13:28:26+00:00

    I know this has been posted before but just as a reminder, this thread has been trying to diagnose the problem since the beginning of August. The trouble shooters are worthless as are all the standard fixes for Windows Update problems. It happens on Windows 10 and Windows 11.

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-update-kb5016616-kb5017308-kb5017380/8722de52-46ca-44ed-af4f-281b9f57a225

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-10-25T12:17:12+00:00

    Hi Mike,

    Mine is a HP Z220 CMT, with a brand new SSD, first install win 7 then updated to 10,

    ProductName ReleaseID CurrentBuild InstallDate


    Windows 7 Professional 7601 25.11.2020 11:31:13

    Windows 10 Pro 2009 19044 25.11.2020 12:45:59

    Secure Boot disabled ever since, because of an old Nvidia adapter.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-10-25T10:41:12+00:00

    I’m having the issue with an old PC I’ve setup for my young Grandson to play his learning games.

    Acer Aspire Z5700 running Windows 10 Pro 64. Kingston A400 120GB SSD.

    It’s a fresh install as of 19th October. No hidden restore partitions on the drive. The drive previously had Linux installed but I killed all partitions to install Windows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments