cumulative updates fail to install. Both KB5018410 and KB5016616 failed on installation.

Anonymous
2022-10-14T22:36:07+00:00

My computer is a DELL Optiplex 3020. Both recent cumulative updates (KB5018410 and KB5016616) have failed on installation. The code is 0x800f0845. I have tried all the suggested things to try to get the update to go through up to an in-place update. All other updates go through with no problem. Just the cumulative updates. I have version 21H2 build 19044.1826.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-11-02T22:18:30+00:00

    I am having the same problem. Have tried running the update troubleshooter, deleting update cache, restart update service etc. Even trying to hide the update doesn't work--the cumulative update pops right back up. Also using a dell here w/ intel i7

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-10-28T08:34:57+00:00

    I'sorry to say till now, all efforts are useless . However I am not a software or IT specialist. Micosoft should develop a fixing tool.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-10-28T02:00:07+00:00

    I think my issues with stornvme is limithed to 32bit, the issues with 64bit is now a 3 month dilemma and growing, patch Tuesday is getting closer... lets hope that they get it right this time!

    Meanwhile I've started pushing Samsung Drivers out across the WAN and we are seeing success.

    On the downside we learned their driver only supports the 950,960 and 970.... It won't install on the 980 (you can hack it in) but Samsung recommends using the Microsoft NVMe Driver (lol\cry)

    Personally I really think if Microsoft is not going to provide any phone support they should at least have some forum ran by employees with access to the engineers...

    I had an Amazon tech on the phone for an hour with a broken echo dot.... and they called me back to make sure it was still working.... Microsoft needs to get a clue

    Mike

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-10-28T01:08:28+00:00

    I have the same problem, can you solve it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-10-27T21:10:58+00:00

    Thanks for the findings, but swapping stornvme.sys didn't work for me, sorry. I did put the machine to a VM for testing, too (Win10pro_21H2_64bit). I did backup stornvme.sys in system32\drivers. Then run kb5018410 and after 30% of the update the machine did the problematic reboot. This time I did boot to WinRE and I saw the new stornvme.sys. I removed the new one and replaced it with the backed up on. After that I tried the restart in good faith, but no luck. Startup process did stuck at the black screen with the spinner short after the win logo is gone, as always. Too bad .... . Or did I understand it wrong? When I swap other drivers e.g. storahci.sys I get a BSOD.

    Btw adding my findings and data:

    No hidden restore partitions on the drive. Machine was upgraded from Win7pro_64Bit. OS was already on many machines: Lenovo Thinkpad T400 -> Dell -> Lenovo T560 -> now in a VM. Never used secure boot. If MBR/BIOS or GPT/UEFI doesnt matter, tried the update with both configurations. If virtualisation put on or off in Bios/UEFI doesnt matter, tried the update with both configurations. Inplace-Upgrade with 22H2 leads to error code 0xC1900101 - 0x30017 and works only when I choose "keep nothing". Indeed selecting "Keep only own files" leads to the same error, so really a driver problem? I tried to uninstall all third party drivers and software, still no luck. A clean install 22H2 works with all machines. My guess is there's something wrong in the registry left during the lots of upgrades, updates and hardware changes the OS has undergone, but where to look?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments