I seriously dislike the new Windows settings and really wish microsoft would just stick to what works with the control panel instead of trying to "simplify" everything by imitating apple.
Seriously, what kind of metrics are they getting saying people actually prefer the new stuff, especially given how many people complain about it? What I'd give to have an "admin" version of windows without dumbed-down prompts and UI.
Join the beta team so that your input will have a bit more impact.
Windows imitating Apple has been Microsoft's go-to since version 1; it eliminated the need for people to learn line commands to load software. Gates had begged Apple for a license to use the design after being the first outside developer to get a prototype before its release in 1984; Apple was alarmed after seeing several design elements were stolen with Windows 1.0, though they didn't sue until Windows 2 was released in 1988. Jobs himself commented back in 2005 that Microsoft copied the original Mac with Windows 95. The only reason MS has gotten away with it was because MS's productivity software was the big seller for Apple products back then; they didn't catch on that their agreement included a clause to use Apple features in the original Windows and all future Microsoft software programs.
I was an Apple fan boy back in the day; however, after getting out of digital design and moving over to doing more and more with MS software, moving to a MS Windows environment became an almost necessity. Today, I could go either way, but I feel that I get more value out of Windows-based computers (though I just recently bought an older Mac for nostalgia reasons).
By creating the feel of what Apple does, it will pull in converts, and by being 'easier to learn' it helps sell to new people - which used to be Apple's forte, and one of the brilliant moves they did by getting them into schools.