Text disappears and reappears as I write (Microsoft Word, Microsoft Edge, maybe NotePad -- Windows operating system)

Anonymous
2022-10-13T09:12:08+00:00

Okay so now I have a very weird issue that I don't even know how to describe. One thing for sure, it's not OVERTYPE mode thing.

I have noticed that on Microsoft Edge and in Microsoft Word sometimes when I write, some of the last characters disappear and reappear when I type. Let me explain this via an example.

Let's say I want to write the word Microsoft.

  1. Micro types normally
  2. When I type s, o disappears, so now it's Micr
  3. When I type o, Microso appears
  4. Etc.

It happens only occasionally, rarely but it is extremely annoying and I wonder what might be the cause. I have only noticed it in Edge and in Word, maybe also Notepad. Other apps seem to not have this issue, or at least I haven't noticed it.

More interesting thing, while typing messages on twitter today I noticed it once. When typing this very message I didn't notice it happening at all. Since the issue appears so randomly and so rarely I don't have a video to show. But the video would basically look like as if I was typing and removing some parts of the text, then typing it again tbh.

My specs:

Lenovo Legion 5 15ACH6H
AMD Ryzen 5 5600H (3,30Ghz) with Radeon Graphics + Nvidia GeForce  RTX 3060 (Radeon GPU is turned off through MUX)
6023 MB VRAM
16 GB RAM
SSD Samsung MZVLB1T0HBLR-000L2
Lith-Polymer battery 60Wh 15.36 V/17.37V
230 WAT Power Brick
2560 x 1440 (QHD) 165Hz
Windows 11 Home 64-bit

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Display and graphics

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2023-07-16T16:47:31+00:00

    I have the same issue and it's really annoying. In my case sometimes it briefly shows random letters and/or broken fonts and as I continue typing they dissappears and the correct letters reappears. It's not a keyboard problem because I tested different models and different computers, and it seems to happen only in a particular computer, and in determined apps such as MS Word Pro Plus 2021.

    This is the referred pc's config:
    Processor: I3 8100
    Motherboard: Aorus Elite Z370M
    Memory: 16gb (2 x 8gb) @ 3600 mhz + 8gb (2 x 4gb) @ 3200mhz

    Video card: AMD Radeon 6750XT 12gb

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-07-21T09:16:41+00:00

    It seems that Microsoft doesn't care. I'm sick of it, I can't work like this. So I'm going to say goodbye to Microsoft Office and try Libre Office. Too bad!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-07-21T09:41:57+00:00

    I agree. Windows updates keep coming, but this does not get solved. I really wonder where else do we have to post this issue to get it solved...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-08-03T19:22:16+00:00

    This problem sounds like the same problem posted as "Text disappearing and reappearing while typing MS word": https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/text-disappearing-and-reappearing-while-typing-ms/e8419e98-6e79-42bd-bd95-5363699ab545?page=1&messageId=2f09cc0b-6fc8-484f-96e0-18f08cf125a3

    A solution posted there by ScottCrandom sounds very promising; I'm about to try it. In summary:

    "Close the affected program. Add the affected .exe. file to the "Manage 3D settings" and "Program settings" tab of Nvidia control panel. Then for the affected program, enable "Ultra" low latency mode.

    For AMD GPUs enable low latency mode for the affected program in the AMD graphics settings application."

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments