Text disappears and reappears as I write (Microsoft Word, Microsoft Edge, maybe NotePad -- Windows operating system)

Anonymous
2022-10-13T09:12:08+00:00

Okay so now I have a very weird issue that I don't even know how to describe. One thing for sure, it's not OVERTYPE mode thing.

I have noticed that on Microsoft Edge and in Microsoft Word sometimes when I write, some of the last characters disappear and reappear when I type. Let me explain this via an example.

Let's say I want to write the word Microsoft.

  1. Micro types normally
  2. When I type s, o disappears, so now it's Micr
  3. When I type o, Microso appears
  4. Etc.

It happens only occasionally, rarely but it is extremely annoying and I wonder what might be the cause. I have only noticed it in Edge and in Word, maybe also Notepad. Other apps seem to not have this issue, or at least I haven't noticed it.

More interesting thing, while typing messages on twitter today I noticed it once. When typing this very message I didn't notice it happening at all. Since the issue appears so randomly and so rarely I don't have a video to show. But the video would basically look like as if I was typing and removing some parts of the text, then typing it again tbh.

My specs:

Lenovo Legion 5 15ACH6H
AMD Ryzen 5 5600H (3,30Ghz) with Radeon Graphics + Nvidia GeForce  RTX 3060 (Radeon GPU is turned off through MUX)
6023 MB VRAM
16 GB RAM
SSD Samsung MZVLB1T0HBLR-000L2
Lith-Polymer battery 60Wh 15.36 V/17.37V
230 WAT Power Brick
2560 x 1440 (QHD) 165Hz
Windows 11 Home 64-bit

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Display and graphics

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-10-13T11:36:49+00:00

    Hi Przemysław

    I'm Juliet and I'll do my best to help you.

    Let us first try running the keyboard troubleshooter.

    On your search bar, type "Troubleshoot Setting"

    Click on Additional troubleshooter

    Select Keyboard then Run the troubleshooter

    Wait for it to finish the process.

    I hope it helps! Let me know the results.

    Have a nice day ahead and Stay safe always :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-11-02T13:33:15+00:00

    I am having exactly the same issue. No, I am not in overwrite mode.

    I ran the troubleshooter on the keyboard, no issues.

    For me, letters randomly disappear and reappear FREQUENTLY, not rarely. But then, I do a lot of writing every day.

    I'm using a new Dell XPS 8950 installed with Windows 11 home

    I did disable almost all automatic settings in Word, as I always have. I don't want text to be flagged or transformed (annoyingly and unhelpfully) as I type. Could this be the cause of the problem, the disabling of these automatic text enhancements and alterations?

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-11-02T19:28:11+00:00

    Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, it did not resolve the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-12-11T02:40:03+00:00

    I am also having the same issue. I also have a brand new Dell XPS 8950 with Windows 11 Home, and Microsoft Office 2021. It has a dedicated GPU (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti).

    The problem is noticeable with both MS Word and Outlook. (No problem with Notepad and slightly laggy but fine with Wordpad.) It happens almost every time I type in Outlook or Word. On the display, it looks like the cursor jumps back to an earlier point in time, clearing all the text that was typed after that, and then re-types the text, while I am off typing in a different area of the document. It's very annoying!

    Is it some kind of weird interaction between MS Office and the GPU and maybe Windows 11? Or just an MS Office bug? If anyone has found a solution it would be much appreciated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-12-18T20:07:54+00:00

    I too have DELL 8950

    Video: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti.

    Video Driver v. 516.94

    The issue started when I installed a new Windows 11 update 22H2. I tried a new NVIDIA driver (version 526.56) but no luck. Then I rolled back to the previous Windows version and the typing seems has come back to normal.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments