Text disappears and reappears as I write (Microsoft Word, Microsoft Edge, maybe NotePad -- Windows operating system)

Anonymous
2022-10-13T09:12:08+00:00

Okay so now I have a very weird issue that I don't even know how to describe. One thing for sure, it's not OVERTYPE mode thing.

I have noticed that on Microsoft Edge and in Microsoft Word sometimes when I write, some of the last characters disappear and reappear when I type. Let me explain this via an example.

Let's say I want to write the word Microsoft.

  1. Micro types normally
  2. When I type s, o disappears, so now it's Micr
  3. When I type o, Microso appears
  4. Etc.

It happens only occasionally, rarely but it is extremely annoying and I wonder what might be the cause. I have only noticed it in Edge and in Word, maybe also Notepad. Other apps seem to not have this issue, or at least I haven't noticed it.

More interesting thing, while typing messages on twitter today I noticed it once. When typing this very message I didn't notice it happening at all. Since the issue appears so randomly and so rarely I don't have a video to show. But the video would basically look like as if I was typing and removing some parts of the text, then typing it again tbh.

My specs:

Lenovo Legion 5 15ACH6H
AMD Ryzen 5 5600H (3,30Ghz) with Radeon Graphics + Nvidia GeForce  RTX 3060 (Radeon GPU is turned off through MUX)
6023 MB VRAM
16 GB RAM
SSD Samsung MZVLB1T0HBLR-000L2
Lith-Polymer battery 60Wh 15.36 V/17.37V
230 WAT Power Brick
2560 x 1440 (QHD) 165Hz
Windows 11 Home 64-bit

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Display and graphics

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-16T08:37:47+00:00

    This didn't help. However it gave me an idea to disable font cache service and leave it disabled and after one hours, it looks like it's a working workaround.

    Performance does not seem to be a problem.

    Anyone else to confirm?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-12-09T19:16:58+00:00

    Rebuilding the Font Cache seems to have resolved the issue.

    Doing this was a pain as there are some discrepancies in the original Instructions for Windows 10.

    As follows are the instructions for Windows 11 23H2:

    • Stop and disable 'Windows Font Cache Service' in Service Manager:
    • If present, stop and disable 'Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 3.0.0.0' in Service Manager This service no longer exists in Win11 23H2, but may be present in previous versions & Windows 10.
    • Terminate any instances of 'Usermode Font Driver Host' in Task Manager.
    • Once that is done, everything must be deleted from: C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\FontCache
    • Restart the Computer
    • Re-enable the Font Cache service.

    * I'd also re-enabled .NET Framework 3.5 & Media Features from the Control Panel/Programs and Features/Turn Windows Features on or off

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-12-07T18:30:20+00:00

    Absolutely incredible that this is still an issue and hasn't been solved. This is no minor problem, this is annoying and affecting productivity.

    Come on Microsoft, fix it already :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-12-07T18:15:09+00:00

    Same Issue. The rendering issues extend to the Office menus as well.

    CPU: Intel i5 12400

    GPU: AMD RX 5500

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-07-21T09:41:57+00:00

    I agree. Windows updates keep coming, but this does not get solved. I really wonder where else do we have to post this issue to get it solved...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments