Text disappears and reappears as I write (Microsoft Word, Microsoft Edge, maybe NotePad -- Windows operating system)

Anonymous
2022-10-13T09:12:08+00:00

Okay so now I have a very weird issue that I don't even know how to describe. One thing for sure, it's not OVERTYPE mode thing.

I have noticed that on Microsoft Edge and in Microsoft Word sometimes when I write, some of the last characters disappear and reappear when I type. Let me explain this via an example.

Let's say I want to write the word Microsoft.

  1. Micro types normally
  2. When I type s, o disappears, so now it's Micr
  3. When I type o, Microso appears
  4. Etc.

It happens only occasionally, rarely but it is extremely annoying and I wonder what might be the cause. I have only noticed it in Edge and in Word, maybe also Notepad. Other apps seem to not have this issue, or at least I haven't noticed it.

More interesting thing, while typing messages on twitter today I noticed it once. When typing this very message I didn't notice it happening at all. Since the issue appears so randomly and so rarely I don't have a video to show. But the video would basically look like as if I was typing and removing some parts of the text, then typing it again tbh.

My specs:

Lenovo Legion 5 15ACH6H
AMD Ryzen 5 5600H (3,30Ghz) with Radeon Graphics + Nvidia GeForce  RTX 3060 (Radeon GPU is turned off through MUX)
6023 MB VRAM
16 GB RAM
SSD Samsung MZVLB1T0HBLR-000L2
Lith-Polymer battery 60Wh 15.36 V/17.37V
230 WAT Power Brick
2560 x 1440 (QHD) 165Hz
Windows 11 Home 64-bit

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Display and graphics

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-08-03T19:22:16+00:00

    This problem sounds like the same problem posted as "Text disappearing and reappearing while typing MS word": https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/text-disappearing-and-reappearing-while-typing-ms/e8419e98-6e79-42bd-bd95-5363699ab545?page=1&messageId=2f09cc0b-6fc8-484f-96e0-18f08cf125a3

    A solution posted there by ScottCrandom sounds very promising; I'm about to try it. In summary:

    "Close the affected program. Add the affected .exe. file to the "Manage 3D settings" and "Program settings" tab of Nvidia control panel. Then for the affected program, enable "Ultra" low latency mode.

    For AMD GPUs enable low latency mode for the affected program in the AMD graphics settings application."

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-01-27T09:33:08+00:00

    Same issue on brand new PC:

    Windows 11 Pro

    I9-13900k

    rtx3070 8gb

    64gb ram

    nvme 2tb

    Office 2019 & office 365

    All version of software and drivers are the latest.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-12-21T12:21:18+00:00

    I am also having the same issue. I have a brand new Dell G15 5520 with Windows 11, and Microsoft Office 2019. It has a dedicated GPU (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060).

    The problem is noticeable with both MS Word and Outlook.

    Office Version 2211: 13. Dezember

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-12-18T20:07:54+00:00

    I too have DELL 8950

    Video: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti.

    Video Driver v. 516.94

    The issue started when I installed a new Windows 11 update 22H2. I tried a new NVIDIA driver (version 526.56) but no luck. Then I rolled back to the previous Windows version and the typing seems has come back to normal.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-11-02T19:28:11+00:00

    Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, it did not resolve the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments