In Windows 11 "shell infrastructure host" process using a lot of CPU when viewing Photos on external SSD
I have two computers on Windows 11 22000.318 and on both of them when I connect my 512GB Samsung SSD "shell infrastructure host" starts to use a lot of CPU and power usage is "very high" in task manager. I understand this may be normal when browsing large folders on the SSD or copying files to/from the SSD but even if I close all the File Explorer windows to the SSD "shell infrastructure host" continues to use a lot of CPU. If I try to eject the SSD it says its in use. So my only option is to log out of Windows and log back in and that stops "shell infrastructure host" and it goes back to normal. Could this problem be part of the Windows 11 memory leak bug with File Explorer I've been hearing about? Or maybe something to do with indexing going on? My external SSD has thousands of photos and I am using the Photos app.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
49 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2022-01-11T15:01:54+00:00 -
Anonymous
2022-01-23T09:00:36+00:00 Same problem. I killed the process, and it stopped. I had indeed opened the Photos app a few times... I closed it, and this shell infrastructure host bug ran wild.
-
Anonymous
2022-02-13T20:14:57+00:00 Wow, this is an ongoing problem. It reliably happens in photos when I am viewing many images. Nothing but reboot solves the problem, until the next time. Update sihost.exe at 9% cpu all else zero
Not true in my experience and other's as well (see previous posts). You can log out and back in or you can kill the process with task manager.
-
Anonymous
2022-02-14T01:49:07+00:00 I don't care about ways to reboot or kill the process. This is a major problem for Microsoft that has existed for years. Some permanent fix should have been engineered by now. Hello? Microsoft? tech please reply.