In Windows 11 "shell infrastructure host" process using a lot of CPU when viewing Photos on external SSD

Anonymous
2021-11-11T17:25:41+00:00

I have two computers on Windows 11 22000.318 and on both of them when I connect my 512GB Samsung SSD "shell infrastructure host" starts to use a lot of CPU and power usage is "very high" in task manager. I understand this may be normal when browsing large folders on the SSD or copying files to/from the SSD but even if I close all the File Explorer windows to the SSD "shell infrastructure host" continues to use a lot of CPU. If I try to eject the SSD it says its in use. So my only option is to log out of Windows and log back in and that stops "shell infrastructure host" and it goes back to normal. Could this problem be part of the Windows 11 memory leak bug with File Explorer I've been hearing about? Or maybe something to do with indexing going on? My external SSD has thousands of photos and I am using the Photos app.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-06-28T12:25:46+00:00

    Yep... Even by opening a picture in a folder containing > 200 photos using MS Photos, Shell Infrastructure Host burns the CPU. I think the best alternative, for now, is ImageGlass (Kobe-free version🙂): https://imageglass.org/release/imageglass-8-6-7-13-36

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-06-28T14:05:27+00:00

    Good alternative is also Pictureflect Photo Viewer

    https://pictureflect.com/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2022-07-12T00:26:09+00:00

    I have the same problem with Photos app running on Windows 10. Shell Infrastructure Host starts misbehaving and consumes high CPU and starts the fan going when I do any of the following: minimize Photos, end Photos by clicking on the upper right X of the window, use Photos arrow buttons, or click on Browse Photos or Videos. I am able to end Photos app from the Task Manager, and use the keyboard arrow and page up/down keys without triggering Shell Infrastructure Host.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments