In Windows 11 "shell infrastructure host" process using a lot of CPU when viewing Photos on external SSD

Anonymous
2021-11-11T17:25:41+00:00

I have two computers on Windows 11 22000.318 and on both of them when I connect my 512GB Samsung SSD "shell infrastructure host" starts to use a lot of CPU and power usage is "very high" in task manager. I understand this may be normal when browsing large folders on the SSD or copying files to/from the SSD but even if I close all the File Explorer windows to the SSD "shell infrastructure host" continues to use a lot of CPU. If I try to eject the SSD it says its in use. So my only option is to log out of Windows and log back in and that stops "shell infrastructure host" and it goes back to normal. Could this problem be part of the Windows 11 memory leak bug with File Explorer I've been hearing about? Or maybe something to do with indexing going on? My external SSD has thousands of photos and I am using the Photos app.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-04-30T19:38:18+00:00

    Try rebooting your device and then DON'T load Windows Photos viewer, since that appears to be the root of this issue. That should stop the issue immediately and keep your laptop from overheating. To truly resolve the issue long term, you can try the suggestion above to uninstall the Photos. DlC. Media Engine from the Photos app advanced options page (see previous posts referencing this for more details).

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-04-30T19:18:18+00:00

    Sir i have a problem with my laptop windows11.my laptop shell infrastructure Host is working CPU above 60%.

    And my laptop is overheating right now

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-04-17T08:24:44+00:00

    This has worked for me, so far.

    Was having the exact same issue om Surface Laptop Studio.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-04-12T16:01:04+00:00

    Same issue here using 20% of CPU or more till restart

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-04-03T01:35:09+00:00

    I may have fixed it. Open the photo app's advanced options. There is an add on app at the bottom of the screen that is called (Photos. DlC. Media Engine) . This app is searching all your photos for face, place and things recognition. I 'uninstalled it' oon the same screen. I also allowed the Photo app to run in the background as I always use 4 programs when editing photos. I just had 1.5 hours editing photos without the shellinfastructure running overboard and causing my computer fan to whir at high speeds.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments