In Windows 11 "shell infrastructure host" process using a lot of CPU when viewing Photos on external SSD

Anonymous
2021-11-11T17:25:41+00:00

I have two computers on Windows 11 22000.318 and on both of them when I connect my 512GB Samsung SSD "shell infrastructure host" starts to use a lot of CPU and power usage is "very high" in task manager. I understand this may be normal when browsing large folders on the SSD or copying files to/from the SSD but even if I close all the File Explorer windows to the SSD "shell infrastructure host" continues to use a lot of CPU. If I try to eject the SSD it says its in use. So my only option is to log out of Windows and log back in and that stops "shell infrastructure host" and it goes back to normal. Could this problem be part of the Windows 11 memory leak bug with File Explorer I've been hearing about? Or maybe something to do with indexing going on? My external SSD has thousands of photos and I am using the Photos app.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-05-20T17:00:54+00:00

    I have exactly the same issue when using default windows 11 photo app with photo archive (thousands pics). Shell infrastructure consumes almost all CPU resources and doesn't let go even when all folders and photos app is closed. My core i7 laptop becomes very slow and laggy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-05-07T04:38:29+00:00

    Wow, I can't believe this garbage bug is still around. It has been freaking months, people are complaining about it, it's reproducible every single time yet it hasn't been fixed yet. Tons of other photo viewers from Microsoft Store are even bigger garbage and native Windows apps like IrfanView (that doesn't cause this dumb bug!) are a bit clumsy with gestures like pinch to zoom, making whole experience of watching photos on Windows 11 a horrible experience. And I didn't have this issue on Windows 10 so what the F is going on here Microsoft?!

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-05-07T04:33:00+00:00

    I didn't have this addon installed at all when I was already experiencing this dumb high CPU usage bug. This addon only got installed after I was searching for it as you have mentioned and I was looking in Photos app settings to find this addon when it popped up that it has auto installed it. So, if it was only auto installed at this point, then it's not the reason.

    This damn bug nearly scorched my laptop. It's a passive cooled netbook so fan noise isn't a dead giveaway and shell host infrastructure process was hammering it through entire night because I was viewing photos in the evening. Normally it runs idle at 35°C, but was running at 65°C. Trough entire night! Its chassis was so hot I could hardly hold it since it's metal. Ridiculous.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-05-07T04:32:26+00:00

    I didn't have this addon installed at all when I was already experiencing this dumb high CPU usage bug. This addon only got installed after I was searching for it as you have mentioned and I was looking in Photos app settings to find this addon when it popped up that it has auto installed it. So, if it was only auto installed at this point, then it's not the reason.

    This damn bug nearly scorched my laptop. It's a passive cooled netbook so fan noise isn't a dead giveaway and shell host infrastructure process was hammering it through entire night because I was viewing photos in the evening. Normally it runs idle at 35°C, but was running at 65°C. Trough entire night! Its chassis was so hot I could hardly hold it since it's metal. Ridiculous.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-05-02T16:54:40+00:00

    After 6 months, the problem still exists

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments