In Windows 11 "shell infrastructure host" process using a lot of CPU when viewing Photos on external SSD

Anonymous
2021-11-11T17:25:41+00:00

I have two computers on Windows 11 22000.318 and on both of them when I connect my 512GB Samsung SSD "shell infrastructure host" starts to use a lot of CPU and power usage is "very high" in task manager. I understand this may be normal when browsing large folders on the SSD or copying files to/from the SSD but even if I close all the File Explorer windows to the SSD "shell infrastructure host" continues to use a lot of CPU. If I try to eject the SSD it says its in use. So my only option is to log out of Windows and log back in and that stops "shell infrastructure host" and it goes back to normal. Could this problem be part of the Windows 11 memory leak bug with File Explorer I've been hearing about? Or maybe something to do with indexing going on? My external SSD has thousands of photos and I am using the Photos app.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-06-25T21:38:29+00:00

    Tried removing the microsoft photos app through an elevated powershell and then reinstalled using windows store; no luck, still have high shell infrastructure host cpu usage.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-06-25T08:14:19+00:00

    Same here, just moved my wife off of a 13year old Dell to Windows 11l, She has thousands of pictures...

    Image

    Solution to microsoft Photos problem (Shell infrastructure host high GPU)
    I uninstalled the Photos app:
    get-appxpackage *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage

    Without launching the program first, I rebooted the PC first and then let the Photos.DLC.MediaEngine add-on install automatically.
    In: Settings / System / Screen / Graphics settings / Graphics performance preferences / Add the microsoft Photos app and choose the High performance option

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-06-24T22:32:39+00:00

    Same here, just moved my wife off of a 13year old Dell to Windows 11l, She has thousands of pictures...

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-06-17T17:06:41+00:00

    Hi, I have the same problem on my Laptop with Windows 11 Pro.

    It is caused by Microsoft Fotos.

    When I use Windows Photo Viewer the problem newer arises.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-06-11T17:15:42+00:00

    I can confirm this precise thing is happening to my machine; however I'm on windows 10. Tried uninstalling the "Photos.DLC.MediaEngine" addon to no effect. (That module seems to just reinstall itself)... Best work around was to just install 3rd party photo viewer. It's a shame really, because microsoft photos was a perfectly adequate piece of software for my workflow needs; but I cannot tolerate a run-away process eating up so much CPU and causing so much heat.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments