Windows 11 start bar blank

Anonymous
2021-10-31T02:13:27+00:00

Hi,

So I updated to Windows 11 yesterday.. all was fine, reboots etc no issues..

Loaded up today and was all fine then windows said there was an update, downloaded and installed rebooted and now my startmenu/bar loads blank only the arrow on the far right has anything load into it.. click buttons / icons are all not there..

Window key + short cuts do not work at all, i have to open task manager and restart windows explorer to get it running.

In an effort to fix this i downloaded the windows start menu trouble shooter which says it finds an issue but cant fix it giving this error

The current user needs to have permissions to access the following registry key: HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeviceAccess\Global

I have also run various commands in powershell etc as found on the web that people have had success with to no avail for me.

I have rebooted into safe mode and the bar seems to load fine there, done a repair install of windows 11 still no luck on the bar..

I have spoken to MS Support they re-ran all the stuff i did and told me to do the re-pair install still no luck..

I refuse to do a clean install i cant afford to lose all my stuff let alone spend a week downloading and re-installing everything all overagain and getting it all set back up again.

I am hoping someone out there will be able to help :(

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-10-31T03:16:10+00:00

    Hi Zousag. I'm Greg, 10 years awarded Windows MVP, specializing in Installation, Performance, Troubleshooting and Activation, here to help you.

    1. Try these fixes for known, fixed issue of empty Taskbar in Windows 11:

    https://windowsreport.com/windows-11-taskbar-em...

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwz5p9i2ihc

    1. Try these other fixes for Task Bar in Windows 11 and 10:

    https://wethegeek.com/windows-11-taskbar-not-wo...

    https://m.majorgeeks.com/content/page/restart_r...

    https://www.techadvisor.com/how-to/windows/wind...

    https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-11-breaking-p...

    https://www.ebugg-i.com/windows/how-to-fix-wind...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWRWjECB-yE

    1. Check for broken System Files by running System File Checker/DISM in WIndows 11:

    https://www.elevenforum.com/t/use-system-file-c...

    1. If that doesn't fix it then you can do a Windows 11 Repair Upgrade: https://www.elevenforum.com/t/repair-install-wi...

    I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions. Based on the results you post back I may have other suggestions if necessary.

    ______________________________________________

    Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-10-31T03:51:42+00:00

    Hello,

    I have tried all of these and none of them work, i would like to know how come the error i talk to all MS Support staff that the start-menu trouble shooter gives me goes ignored the whole time..

    also please dont even suggest a clean install.. i will not be doing this as i cant lose all my stuff.. and the time itll take to re-download and re-setup everything i have / need will take way to long....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-10-31T04:05:58+00:00

    I read that in your first post. So I didn't suggest it even though I'm the author of the gold standard Clean Installs used by millions over the past decade, which popularized consumer Clean Installs. Of course it would not only solve this problem, it solves all problems permanently for those who stick with the tools and methods. But I won't suggest it.

    Did you see the fixes for your issue in the first three tutorials which fixed it for everyone else? I would try them over again as the issue was solved by those.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-10-31T04:32:02+00:00

    I read that in your first post. So I didn't suggest it even though I'm the author of the gold standard Clean Installs used by millions over the past decade, which popularized consumer Clean Installs. Of course it would not only solve this problem, it solves all problems permanently for those who stick with the tools and methods. But I won't suggest it.

    Did you see the fixes for your issue in the first three tutorials which fixed it for everyone else? I would try them over again as the issue was solved by those.

    Yes I have tried them many times already... I just did a new repair install of Windows 11 this time making it so it will not install updates for windows right away and when it loaded the taskbar / start menu is loading correctly.. about to reboot now to confirm but currently there is 2 updates waiting to be installed...

    KB5005537 a cumulative update for .NET framework 3.5 and 4.8

    &

    KB5006674 a cumulative update for windows 11 for x64 based systems.. again im not installing these until after a reboot to test start menu...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-10-31T04:35:41+00:00

    ok so after reboot menu is not working still.. *it worked first time after rebooting and loading in from repair install but after manual reboot its not working again*

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments