In Microsoft Start, how can I be banned for violating guidelines if I've never commented?

Anonymous
2021-11-25T00:50:39+00:00

I logged in for the first time ever to comment on an article in Microsoft Start. I got a message that I had violated community guidelines. If I've never once tried to comment on anything Microsoft, how can this be? There was no explanation of where this came from.

Windows for home | Other | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

61 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-06-17T14:27:05+00:00

    <removed>

    That doesn't answer anything at all. How do you get a violation? How do you appeal? What was my specific violation? These are all things that need to be addressed with people that ask. I have the same questions and the same issue.

    To Don:

    You provided a lot of good information, thank you.

    To George:

    Your experience is eye opening. I just logged on to Microsoft Start for the first time ever, using my existing Microsoft account. I couldn't remember my password because it's been years, and so I changed it. Then as soon as I started trying to comment on a news article I was told I was indefinitely banned. All the same things you were told. I've come here try to figure out what happened and how to fix it, but your story tells me that I probably can't. I hope that my comments of the past haven't been deleted because of this, because I've had a Microsoft account since the 1990s when I was in NT40 certified engineer. Yes it's been that long. If this account is now blocked and restricted then nothing I ever contributed for years in the past has been preserved. All I wanted to do was comment on an article about Mitt Romney, where of course inevitably politics and religion come up. I wonder if that's why I was banned? Thing is I hadn't actually said anything yet I'd simply logged in in order to say something. Does the AI simply flag anyone that wants to comment?

    I live in Fargo North Dakota, and there is a Microsoft building here. I wonder if I should be bold enough to walk in and ask them what the heck is going on.

    Yeah that would be seen as crazy probably. Somebody coming in person? I'd probably be led out as a potential threat.

    I guess I'll start with a phone call.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Don Varnau 19,930 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-06-18T09:42:33+00:00

    <removed>

    That doesn't answer anything at all. How do you get a violation? How do you appeal? What was my specific violation? These are all things that need to be addressed with people that ask. I have the same questions and the same issue.

    [snip]

    3. Then as soon as I started trying to comment on a news article I was told I was indefinitely banned.

    [snip]

    1. I live in Fargo North Dakota, and there is a Microsoft building here. I wonder if I should be bold enough to walk in and ask them what the heck is going on.

    Yeah that would be seen as crazy probably. Somebody coming in person? I'd probably be led out as a potential threat.

    2. I guess I'll start with a phone call.

    1. You can't really think that will help. ;-)
    2. There is no chance that you will get help with this if you contact Microsoft Support via phone, chat or email.
    3. Would be easier to create a new Microsoft account to use with MSN, but...

    I wish I knew of a better way but one user with the same problem became unbanned after submitting her appeal via the Feedback link that's on nearly every MSN page once per day for (I think she wrote) about 6 weeks.

    Don

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-08-16T23:46:37+00:00

    I am sick of having posts that, while critical, have nothing offensive in them barred by the Community Guidelines. They are broken.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-08-16T23:48:55+00:00

    The guidelines seem to be random. I have had them bar inoffensive posts a lot. In my opinion, the broken community guidelines make this not a worthwhile place to post or visit anyway.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-08-17T12:01:33+00:00

    I don't really know why I'm reading this or replying. I just care less and less about social media and why they would ban me in to begin with. I never post anything without sources that's controversial. I'm fairly liberal in my thinking, but more conservative in moral values and gov. spending. I'm more interested in 1st amendment rights. If social media companies, follow that I'm good. Peace out! Jennifer Contoplianos.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments