Computer will boot from USB TO LINUX but not USB to windows

Anonymous
2021-10-14T15:07:30+00:00

** I am resposting this from Asus help site as I still haven't found a solution** Hello. First off I'm new! I built a computer from scratch last year. I have the Asus x570 gaming motherboard. I installed windows 11 a few weeks ago and it has been running fine. Last week, it green screened and now I can't get it to boot to windows no matter how I try. I'm at a loss, I keep thinking there is something I can do other than send my motherboard back, but no one has any advise that has worked yet. I've included a video that, is the problem. Has anyone had issues? Or suggestions. Ive now disconnected all drives but my main m2 drive, I have windows bootable in there. I've tried booting legacy. And uefi. I just don't know what else to do! Things I've tried...

  • Checking ram sticks
  • Flashing bios
  • Upgrading bios
  • Taking all drives out and just booting windows from USB
  • Legacy and non legacy boots
  • Iso of win 10 from RUFUS
  • BOOTING UEFI from usb drive and installing windows that way

No matter what I try, it just sits on the window square screen.

ALSO it will let me boot just fine to a Linux USB without an issue. video

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-10-15T16:50:45+00:00

    Linux tells us that the problem is almost certainly with WIndows.

    On the drive you are transferring Windows after install on the other PC, can you put it back in the other PC and Sysprep it to remove drivers and SID so that it is adjusted to start on any hardware?

    Did you use this same media to install in the other PC, booting it to do a Custom Install? That confirms the media is good. Did you unplug the other internal hard drives? If not the boot files were probably derailed to another hard drive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-10-15T16:41:55+00:00

    No sir. I can't get into anything windows. I've reset bios numerous times. Taken battery out....did the jumper thing. Could it be GPU? the memory is fine. On Linux the Gpu has worked fine..ugh

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-10-15T16:28:06+00:00

    If it works in Linux then the motherboard is good.

    Try resetting the BIOS to default:

    https://www.groovypost.com/howto/reset-pc-bios-...

    If you cannot do that then clear CMOS:

    https://www.maketecheasier.com/how-to-reset-cmo...

    What happens when you try to boot the hard drive with Windows? See if you can run Startup Repair on it:

    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-startup-...

    Even better is the Macrium Boot Corrector which is on the Macrium Reflect Rescue Media, and will start any Macrium image or clone, can also work on regular installs that won't start:

    https://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle5016...

    http://www.macrium.com/blog/2008/09/23/HowToCre...

    You can also Sysprep the install to remove drivers or "generalize" it for easier adaptation to new hardware. But this has not needed to be done in Windows 10, first case I've seen it might:

    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/135077-win...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-10-15T16:07:27+00:00

    Alright..new power supply ..same problem...took hard drive out of broken computer. Installed a fresh copy of win 10 on another computer. Installed it on broken computer and get the same result. USB stick booted fine from other computer. Not from broker computer. Still sitting on window block screen...maybe need a new motherboard?? But again works fine in LINUx

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-10-15T04:39:15+00:00

    OK, keep me posted.

    Please also go over the steps I wrote out and make sure none of the others were skipped too. We often find out later that the fix was the skipped step.

    If you need help performing any step I will help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments