Computer will boot from USB TO LINUX but not USB to windows

Anonymous
2021-10-14T15:07:30+00:00

** I am resposting this from Asus help site as I still haven't found a solution** Hello. First off I'm new! I built a computer from scratch last year. I have the Asus x570 gaming motherboard. I installed windows 11 a few weeks ago and it has been running fine. Last week, it green screened and now I can't get it to boot to windows no matter how I try. I'm at a loss, I keep thinking there is something I can do other than send my motherboard back, but no one has any advise that has worked yet. I've included a video that, is the problem. Has anyone had issues? Or suggestions. Ive now disconnected all drives but my main m2 drive, I have windows bootable in there. I've tried booting legacy. And uefi. I just don't know what else to do! Things I've tried...

  • Checking ram sticks
  • Flashing bios
  • Upgrading bios
  • Taking all drives out and just booting windows from USB
  • Legacy and non legacy boots
  • Iso of win 10 from RUFUS
  • BOOTING UEFI from usb drive and installing windows that way

No matter what I try, it just sits on the window square screen.

ALSO it will let me boot just fine to a Linux USB without an issue. video

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-10-14T18:39:43+00:00

    Hi Jen. I'm Greg, 10 years awarded Windows MVP, specializing in Installation, Performance, Troubleshooting and Activation, here to help you.

    Is there a Linux dual boot on the PC? What is installed exactly and where, and why is USB referred to in the thread title as it confuses what you're trying to do which I think is repair Windows 10 that will not start after a green screen?

    First try fixes for Green Screen in Windows 10:

    https://www.quora.com/Why-does-my-computer-scre...

    https://www.nucleustechnologies.com/blog/tips-t...

    https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/forum/screen-turni...

    I these do not help then Use whichever method works in this link to get into Repair Mode so you can do the necessary repairs or do a Reset: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advanc...

    Easiest is to force shutdown by holding in the power button. Do this twice. The third time you power on it should start into Repair Mode. Once in the Repair Mode try the numbered steps below.

    It may be necessary to create bootable media on another PC to access Advanced Startup Options to try repairs, a Reset or do the Clean install. The bootable media has it's own set of files so that repairs or Reset might work better, doesn't require a password, and you'll have it to if necessary do the vastly superior Clean Install.

    To create Windows 10 Installation Media on another PC install Media Creation Tool and follow the directions here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-10/m.... Uncheck the box for Recommended Settings to choose the exact version and bit rate for the target PC only.

    Insert media, boot it by powering up PC while pressing the BIOS Boot Menu Key given here: https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutor...

    If the media won't boot you may need to enter BIOS/UEFI Setup (pressing key given in chart in link above) to turn off Fast Boot or Fast Startup first.

    Choose the boot device as a UEFI device if offered, on second screen choose Repair Your Computer, then Advanced Troubleshoot Options, then:

    1. Try a System Restore,
    2. If that fails try Uninstall Updates as far back as necessary to see if this was caused by an Update,
    3. Open the Command Prompt to:

    a) run System File Checker: https://www.wintips.org/how-to-run-sfc-offline-...

    b) run a full Disk Check: https://www.windowsdigitals.com/how-to-run-chkd...

    c) trigger Safe Mode with Networking (for internet) or Safe Mode following https://www.intowindows.com/boot-windows-10-in-... to roll back Updates & Drivers in Windows Update History, update your drivers from the PC/Motherboard manufacturer's website and diagnose further:

    https://www.pcmag.com/news/354269/how-to-use-sa...

    d) From the Command Prompt try to create a new Local Admin Account to replace your account: https://www.isumsoft.com/windows-10/3-ways-to-c..., sign in to test it, move files over, when ready delete the old account and if desired change the new one to your MS Account.

    1. If those fail then go back to Troubleshoot Options to do a Reset.
    2. If that fails choose Install Now, then Custom Install, then at the drive selection screen delete all partitions down to Unallocated Space to get it cleanest, click Next to let it create needed partitions and start install - this makes it foolproof. Everything needed to get the best possible Clean Install is here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki.... It is a better install than any amount of money can buy and a great learning experience that will make you the master of your PC because you will learn what works best and how to apply it with your own hands.
    3. If you have files that aren't backed up you can use the same bootable media to try to rescue your files using these methods: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

    Your files should be backed up at all times if you value them at all. In the Clean Install tutorial in Step 5 I give the best methods to back up.

    I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

    ________________________________________________________

    Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments