c/efi/microsoft/boot/cipolicies/active/{..}.cip is corrupted

Anonymous
2021-10-31T14:23:30+00:00

Hi, I cannot recover my Windows 11 machine after some updates were installed, I can see that file c/efi/microsoft/boot/cipolicies/active/{..}.cip is corrupted according to SrtTrail.txt file.

How can I restore my Windows 11?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-11-01T03:17:31+00:00

Hi ,GraninNikita

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for sharing your concern with us today.

I understand that you cannot recover your Windows 11 .

We are here to help on this issue.

SrtTrail.txt file error is a system error.

1.First, we can test the system repair, click advanced options, click the troubleshoot option, then click advanced options, enter the command prompt, enter sfc /scannow in the command prompt, and see if it can be repaired System and solve.

2.If repairing the system cannot be resolved, please try to click Advanced Options, click the Troubleshooting option, click Advanced Options, click Startup Settings, click the restart button, choose to disable the driver signature loading, and see if it can start successfully

3.If it doesn’t work anymore, go to Advanced Options, Troubleshooting, and Reset This Computer. There are two options, one is to keep my files, the other is to delete all the content, the suggestion is to keep my files, and there may be a choice In the case of the account, we choose the login user account name, and we click the local reinstall button.(Resetting the system can keep the files, but not the software.)

I hope the information provided is useful for you. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to our support.

Best Regards

Hinata Li

Microsoft Community Support Specialist

*Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here."

*Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps, as it will be beneficial to more community members reading here.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-08-15T16:31:25+00:00

    I have a variation of the .cip is corrupt issue. Hopefully MS is working on a real solution--its not a good user experience with a new operating system / computer when it starts bombing on startup because of failure to load a profile, regardless of the offending <>. It seems like a more robust fail over is needed for less-critical profile load issues.

    In my variation, I login successfully from a cold boot as follows:

    1. Boot, enter pin -- wait for the glorious -- "Your profile is obnoxious so MS has decided you are not worthy--please visit your nearest black hole for answers".
    2. Use power options on failure screen to restart. System reboots, then logging into the affected profile appears to kickoff generation of a new profile, with the message 'Preparing Windows'. Wait several minutes for 'Preparing Windows. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .' A stub profile loads with some app links but mostly a vacant profile.
    3. Restart normally. Then, like magic, the full original profile loads successfully with no apparent problems. This is why suspect a better automatic failover might be one way to improve the situation. If the profile is corrupt, how bad is it? It can't be that bad if a third boot loads the corrupt profile successfully, with no messages or apparent problems that I don't already know about--I could live with a warning.

    I may try a complete reinstall, but I'm discouraged since it seems that has not worked for many who have tried. Without some clue as to whether the wipe and repeat will work, it's a lot to undertake:

    SOLUTION: Sleep: as few hard shutdowns as possible. Pray for a real solution sometime soon.

    Device name SpectreJr

    Processor 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1260P 2.10 GHz

    Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)

    Edition Windows 11 Home

    Version 21H2

    Installed on ‎7/‎6/‎2022

    OS build 22000.856

    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.856.0

    Update: I elected for a complete reinstall of Windows 11 from a fresh USB stick. That worked. I wonder if there was something complicated in HPs install (several partitions and bitlocker enabled; that may have made the stock setup fragile). I avoided uninstalls post-wipe, but difficulties with one install eventually required me to reinstall the latest VC++ runtime--something to keep in mind if you find some of your installs crashing with no explanation or a cryptic "cannot initialize due to missing <*>.dll". I am not using bitlocker. I suspect it may have been involved. Until MS can prove me wrong, I'm assuming bitlocker is dangerous.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-07-24T19:19:08+00:00

    I actually got into this situation on Windows 10 after trying to fix 1 unrecognised RAM stick. (It was system fault the RAM stick was fine)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-07-24T14:04:08+00:00

    This is actually very helpful Tvo. It seems all of us are having the issue with a pre-installed version of Windows 11. You're doing a fresh install of Windows 11 which would free ourselves from vendor installed software and drivers. Perhaps that is a key element.

    Paul

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-07-19T10:09:33+00:00

    I don't know who's fault it is. It seems like there's some sort of old driver which isn't updated / cleaned up in the update which is causing havoc.

    This issue isn't just about going back to a restore point, the only solution I've been able to find so far is to do an entire new Windows install, which is not exactly the reliability one would expect.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments