Onedrive seems to have created its own drive G partition and moved my previous drive G partition to drive L

Anonymous
2021-10-01T22:00:28+00:00

One drive has messed up my partitions in that I had a drive G called WorkArea (G) that has the one drive folders to sync on it, along with all other files and folders on it. Somehow my G drive WorkArea (G) (partition) was reallocated to drive L WorkArea (L), and a separate partition G now called Local Disk (G). has appeared in the original drive G's place. (not talking about drive Mapping here).

In windows explorer I see the following screen shot

whereas in disk management, G does NOT show up at all and I cannot change WorkArea (L) back to G.

Drive L does show up in windows explorer, but is not in the screen shot. .

and trying to re-assign WorkArea to G I cannot, as it is unavailable.

how do I fix this?

I tried to uninstall OneDrive, and reboot but nothing changed.

Can someone please help me fix this as my backup plans are set for G as what is in WorkArea L and now backup of G only shows OneDrive files, that were not part of the backup plan to begin with.

Thanks for any help you can offer. Much appreciated.

Garry G

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-11-02T21:57:03+00:00

    Hello...

    It may not be standard behavior but nonetheless it happened when OneDrive made changes to its functionality. It was not a result of malware, virus or any such bad malicious software. It just happened when I set up Onedrive with its new changes.

    Problem has been resolved with the help of PCR to whom I am very grateful.

    But thank you for voicing your thoughts.

    Cheers!

    Garry

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-11-02T19:50:06+00:00

    One drive has messed up my partitions in that I had a drive G called WorkArea (G) that has the one drive folders to sync on it, along with all other files and folders on it. Somehow my G drive WorkArea (G) (partition) was reallocated to drive L WorkArea (L), and a separate partition G now called Local Disk (G). has appeared in the original drive G's place. (not talking about drive Mapping here).

    In windows explorer I see the following screen shot

    Image

    whereas in disk management, G does NOT show up at all and I cannot change WorkArea (L) back to G.

    Drive L does show up in windows explorer, but is not in the screen shot. .

    Image

    and trying to re-assign WorkArea to G I cannot, as it is unavailable.

    Image

    how do I fix this?

    I tried to uninstall OneDrive, and reboot but nothing changed.

    Can someone please help me fix this as my backup plans are set for G as what is in WorkArea L and now backup of G only shows OneDrive files, that were not part of the backup plan to begin with.

    Thanks for any help you can offer. Much appreciated.

    Garry G

    That is not standard behaviour for OneDrive so there is a malfunction or possibly malicious software present

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-11-02T19:47:51+00:00

    You are welcome. BCD stands for Boot Configuration Data. Glad to have helped. I too am happy to have learned a thing/two in this thread. May there be many happy boots & reboots to you & me. Good luck, & keep us informed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-11-02T19:30:00+00:00

    Hi PCR....

    Thank you so very much for all your help. I cannot thank you enough for all your time and effort.

    This was a big learning experience for me considering I do not still, even know what BCD acronym means, or how to have even thought about this as problem,

    You are a great community resource and I hope everyone to whom you have ever helped here appreciates you as much as I do.

    Thanks again, and stay safe.

    Best Regards,

    Garry

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-11-02T18:46:56+00:00

    Yep -- woohoo! It's a job well done on both our parts. And good of Windows to self-adjust the BCD after the removal of H: & a reboot. Victory is ours at last. I studied the BCDEdit help screens & practiced on my own BCD to be able to do all that. Also, there are sites & threads that discuss it. I guess do one really final: "BCDEdit /Export C:\BU\BCD_Backup".

    And that's the glorious end of it. Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments